Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are our engines centered with the centerline of the car? I can see that mine is angled to the left when looking from the front, maybe 2 degrees to the drivers side front to back. Just wondering if this is normal or if it should be sitting square in the engine bay?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Has your car ever been in an accident..?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I know of, bought certified preowned & showed no accidents on carfax (the dealer's carfax). I saw something saying the gto's engines didn't lineup with the car's centerline, was hoping that was the case for the g8's. My biggest exhaust leak is/was on the passenger side of header collector, I can visibly see that the passenger side cat back is 1/2" or so further back than the driver's side. Well that's the way it appears under the car. The way my motor is situated would kick the rear passenger side forward in the engine bay slightly.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
The drawings seems to show that the motor mounts are set in place on the frame rails balanced left to right of the center line. Cylinder head position, shows the drivers side more forward than the passenger side. That of course is the way it has to be, to allow for the room required for the left side and right side piston rods mounted along side each other on the crank throw. That could mean that the exhaust outlets are staggered that way also (maybe 3/4").
I suppose if you had a large T square handy, you could centerline it (down the intake manifold), and measure outboard to a matching location at the fenders, it would give you a pretty good idea of the engines position left to right. Might be an illusion (at the headers) or the staggered set position of the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
No it is not centered. Mine and the others I've looked at are slightly angled to the right as it goes back. I can notice it even when I shift the tranny. I figure since the vehicle was designed basicly as a right hand drive.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked at it after dinner tonight & I would say it's very slgihtly angled towards the passenger side as it goes towards the firewall. I have not measured how much though. Just windering if this is normal or if I've got a problem.?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
The same thing was found with the GTO's too. Engine placement in the compartment had some variation.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
In the old days, the engine was biased towards the passenger side to clear steering linkage and balance out a driver-only weight situation.
My G8's engine also appears to be closer to the passenger side as it goes back. Sounds like yours is normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.