Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Engine Replacement Options

12K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  2oo9g8gt 
#1 ·
As my G8 GT approaches 110k miles, we all hope the motor holds out to 200k plus, which by all standards, it could. But valve seals wear out, bearings wear, piston rings wear, and I have already had the lifters replaced under warranty at around 90k miles for the lovely lifter tick. So I have been looking around for "backup" plans. I won't have $10k to build a nice 402 or 408. My budget would LOVE to be under $5k, but I know that is a pipe dream in the LS world. Also, it might depend on what goes on the motor and if lower end is OK, if the block survives, etc. Even if I did a top end swap (cam and ported heads), the lower end would have 1XX,000 miles on it.

The car is almost paid off, but I would not take a loan out to finance a wild engine build. More power is always nice, but the more power, the more stuff breaks.

So, what would you do within a restrained budget?

Option A - What would it cost to just rebuild the stock 6.0 with new rods, pistons, bearings, toss on some nicer heads and a DOD delete camshaft?

Option B - Purchase a junk yard low mileage 6.2L out of a Corvette or Camaro? I think these would still cost around $6-8k? And could be a gamble?

Option C - Something like this off of Ebay? I think that could bolt right in and all accessories would swap over? 480hp sounds about right! I'm thinking install/swap would run another $1,500-2k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-P...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I'm just exploring some hypotheticals, nothing wrong with my current engine that I know of, just sorting out what I might want or have to do in advance. It may not even be a daily driver in the near future, so everything might change.

See less See more
#3 ·
I like the sound of that. As long as the block survives anything that might happen, that would probably be the go to option then.

#4 ·
I got my built from Bbamotorsports got the L76 out and got a nice Iron block boost ready
bullet proof stroker 376ci 6.2L iron block Forged for 2,999.
Ls3 heads, yellaterra rockers and pac dual valve springs, Circle D 3600 stall, ARH 1 7/8 Cat less, Special Grind Cam.
Cant complaint.
I need to dyno this thing.
it feels like 500ish Hp

#5 ·
Awesome. I doubt that included installation of the new engine though? Even though I have the utmost confidence I could swap engines myself, I don't think I would have the time to do it, I would probably just pay to have it done.

I would guess the big name places probably charge big name prices? It might pay to find a smaller qualified shop to do the work if necessary?

#6 ·
He charges 750 to take the engine out and 750 to put it in very neat work not 1 scratch on my car. oh and he did a zL1 fuel pump 350 to drop the tank and he built a custom door under the rear seat for the future access to replace the pump in the even it was needed so you don't have to drop the tank. all for $280 with the camaro regulator.
I am very glad I found this guy.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I asked a similar question in this thread: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75177 Not exactly the same thing, but it's what you're looking for. I already knew your Option A was the best for another 100k. The bottom end should be fine at the cam/bolt on's power level.

As for the transmission, what usually goes in them? I haven't had any issues, but I also haven't done any maintenance yet either. I planned on changing the fluid, and hopefully that will get me through another 100k.

#12 ·
I am thinking my heads are fine i had the lifters replaced with revised ones because they thought that was the cause for the knock. It clearly is piston slap but dealer of course said its normal. I was thinking about swapping a built ls3 bottom end in. I do not want to rebuild my block because of time constraints. I would do the swap in a weekend with my buddy. Just need to determine the cheapest/best option.

#14 ·
OP, I'm with Troy, nothing to worry about. Rick Crawford put in forged crank, rods and pistons in mine at 98k miles because the rods had slowly compressed from the power/torque which was ~600rwhp for 50k miles and higher for last 10k before the build. Bearings, cylinder walls were all in pristine condition, valve seals all good; no wear issues at all!

#15 ·
For $4800, you can buy a new, replacement LS3 from a GM dealer. With the LS3, all the parts from the L76 swap out. The warranty from GM would be 3 years/100K miles parts and labor, as long as the LS3 was available on your model year-2009. I've checked and almost everything is the same, but I believe the MAP meter is a different part number.

What this guy is trying to sell is a truck motor, it is not an LSX, as those are red cast iron blocks. Horsepower on that engine is around 320, not the 361 on the G8 GT. Notice he is also only offering a 12/12 parts only warranty.

#18 ·
A lot would depend on what injectors you are using (old stock L76 injectors) or if the drop in LS3 had different injectors. The PCM would have to be tuned properly for the injectors and their flowrate, etc. Also, are you using a different MAF, TB, etc. It would be best to have a tune done when firing it up for the first time.

#20 ·
Pace has a 525 hp option 6.2 for ls motors. Top end of budget though. Same cost as maggie but all motor. I am assuming its direct fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.