Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before everyone tells me of all the recalls and problems with the EPS Electronic Power Steering system I was wondering if anyone has tried to convert their hydraulic power steering system over to the EPS system from a Chevy SS or a Caprice PPV?

·
Premium Member
6,433 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think I saw somewhere that the SS system can't be used due to differences in CANBUS. It needs a BCM signal I believe.

I've seen various people talk about/use Volvo electric pumps on project cars.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
There are bigger improvements to be made to the front suspension that make the steering more precise.
The stock radius arm bushings are liquid filled mush balls. Mevotech arms have a solid rubber bushings, or you can have poly bushings installed. There are several other bushings that need to be upgraded throughout this vehicle. Do it right and electric or hydraulic will never come up again.

·
Registered
770 Posts
There are bigger improvements to be made to the front suspension that make the steering more precise.
The stock radius arm bushings are liquid filled mush balls. Mevotech arms have a solid rubber bushings, or you can have poly bushings installed. There are several other bushings that need to be upgraded throughout this vehicle. Do it right and electric or hydraulic will never come up again.
I think most people looking for EPS aren't looking for increased steering performance, but usually space savings or less complexity of having to deal with an engine driven pump. Particularly in a higher RPM situation.

I agree with your points though. Fix the weak points first.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
311 Posts
Why? The car doesn't need more problems.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
If you think it saves HP and weight , the gains are minimal. Power steering pumps don’t need computers. So they are not more complex. They only create drag when you turn. Now what makes more sense is to get a NASCAR style power steering pump, a modified stock pump that lowers drag. Gives better feel at high rpm with reduced drag but still has assist for low speed driving.

·
Premium Member
6,433 Posts
At the end of the day and in my extremely humble opinion, the proverbial juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts