Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read that a lot of you have problems with the 449 code. DP not mess with trying to change it from down under. Just use a cirkular sawdrill and drill a nice hole from above and you can change the solenoid from the trunk over and over agan. Sometimes you must think further than the designing engineer.

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
449 code? Change it from down under as in Australia? Interesting, pictures detailing where to cut the hole? Was the hole resealed? Oftentimes, the"designing engineer" should have thought of a better design.

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
Speechless. No, am literally without sppech.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
As someone that has cut a hole for the fuel pump, I can't fault where your head was, and even gave it thought when mine needed replaced.

As an engineer, I know supplying a quick a access hole for each and every replaceable thing just isn't practical or even feasible.

Having done the job, it's really not that bad to lower the subframe.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Good to know so I won't have to drop $800+ like I did the first time at a GM dealership (I was up against a state inspection deadline here in NY which doesn't allow any trouble codes and GM's position was that it isn't part of the emissions system so I had to pay).

There is a way to get at it thru the wheel well but pretty tricky as I recall here on the forums. I also vaguely recall they replaced a related canister which probably would be too big for the drilled hole method or thru the wheel well.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Curious, how big is the hole? I feel like that hole saw wouldn't leave me much room to get my bearclaw in there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Spoken like a true engineer. No problem spending $1000 of our customers money to change a $20 part that was faulty from the factory. I’m used to dumb engineering and was able to change it without cutting holes or dropping the subframe. Took a whole lot of swearing and me buying a cable actuated hose clamp tool. But I got it done. It’s not the first time I had to lube up my whole arm to get the job done. Lol.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If it was faulty from the factory, you should have had it replaced under warranty a long time ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curious, how big is the hole? I feel like that hole saw wouldn't leave me much room to get my bearclaw in there.
100mm of your hand is bigger feel around and gently use metal scissor. Do not use any other machine tool - it is cables, pipes, tank etc. around. The cirkular saw Will enable you to stop right in time and without flames.

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
Awhile ago, there was at least one six cylinder vehicle and any guesses where the sixth spark plug was located? At the back of the engine under the firewall. Literally, the engine had to be pulled in order to change the plug. Never expected everything on a vehicle to have a secret compartment nor access door. Am fully aware engineers are human beings which should be factored into the equation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts