Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you're aware that the glass on the G8 is made by Saint Gobain Sekurit (SGS). Well today I noticed the writing on the windshield on the lower passenger side corner and noticed this symbol:

Apparently it means the windshield is SGS's "acoustic" glass that's designed to reduce noise from the outside.

Here's the link to SGS's website: http://www.saint-gobain-sekurit.com/en/index.asp?nav1=PR&id=362

Thought that was kind of cool...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just looked and sure enough, it is there. So many small things I didn't know about the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sadly I never had much of an interest in this car until recently so I've never had the chance to drive or ride in one yet, thats good its quiet though, cars I have now are nothing but road noise and you have to shout at each other and talking on a phone is downright impossible

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ah, I found it. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Yea, this is definately great information. A few months ago I read a thread on here about someone who got aftermarket glass and it was very loud, thinking there was a leak. Turns out they didn't use the special accoustic glass, for their loss.

My car doesn't have that logo on the glass, but I got a chip in the windshield so maybe sometime soon I may be looking for a replacement. I've stickied this thread as a great reference to the rest of us who may need to replace the glass in the future.

Thanks for the post, OP!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
saint gobain is a MA based company...wonder why they're making auto glass for australian cars

·
Registered
593 Posts
I read this thread out loud. My wife heard me. Then I heard the back door shut. She came back in a minute later and said, "Yup!"

LOL!! She just had to go look :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great info! Everyone, keep this in mind if you need a new windshield. Glass replacement is always an issue as glass companies always seem to claim that whatever they are putting in is as good as OEM. Once in the past I had to have a company remove and replace a windshield they just put in due to distortions. If I ever need one again I'm insisting on OEM.

·
Registered
116 Posts
And yes, I had to go out in the garage and look. Mine has the symbol in the lower right hand corner.

·
Registered
428 Posts
GM uses laminated acoustical glass on the front side windows of the GMT360's.
It's hard to tell from the pic, but there's two pieces of thin glass with a layer of plastic between them.

Attachments

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
I will be replacing my front windshield soon due to rock chips and delamination.

I definitely be wanting SGS's "acoustic" glass for the replacement.

Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
i have the same front glass. all automotive glass
is a two glass and laminate sandwich. maybe the
laminate is thicker on our windshields.
Only the windshield on the G8's are laminated. All the other glass is single sheet safety glass designed to break into small pieces.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yea, this is definately great information. A few months ago I read a thread on here about someone who got aftermarket glass and it was very loud, thinking there was a leak. Turns out they didn't use the special accoustic glass, for their loss.

My car doesn't have that logo on the glass, but I got a chip in the windshield so maybe sometime soon I may be looking for a replacement. I've stickied this thread as a great reference to the rest of us who may need to replace the glass in the future.

Thanks for the post, OP!
I JUST got a chip yesterday:( Did you watch it happen? I saw the piece of gravel fly in and nail it. Put a lil chip in it like right below the dead center of the windshield.:whine:

·
Banned
858 Posts
I had my windshield replaced 2 times and resealed ones. I am still not happy with it.
First one was non Acoustic i was getting too much engine noise. the second one is Acoustic but seems to be not sealed preparedly. I had it resealed 2 times by 2 different
companies. When i am driving at highway speeds my ears start to heart. The only resolution i found to this either make the music louder or open windows. Its driving me crazy. So for those who are thinking of replacing the windshield because of the chip. Live with it. It will never be the same as factory seal.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Good info!! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
40 Participants
ProjectGTSV
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing