Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
All windshields are laminated. Have been in North America since 1966. :slap: The difference is that our laminate material has accoustic properties to dampen the noise.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Nice info to have, thanks for posting. I wonder how much this glass goes for...

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
saint gobain is a MA based company...wonder why they're making auto glass for australian cars
Nope...They are a European Company. They are used on like 1 out of 3 European cars (MB, BMW, Audi, etc.)

Good luck on finding a Sekuirt replacement - I couldn't get one sourced from 3 different glass companies in So Cal where windshields are replaced at the same rate as McDonalds serves Big Macs!! I en ded up going with a PGW windshield that has their acoustic layer called "Soundmaster" installed. It's as quiet as the OEM piece was.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I took a picture of one at a dealership with a huge logo, lemmie see if I can upload it via the autoguidetapatalk application from my phone.

stay tuned...

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Here u go

For the record, these pics were taken from a used 2009.1 v6 on the lot of a local dealership.

Oddly, the windshield of MY 2009.1 car does NOT have any of these graphics on it.

Go figure. :huh:

Hope this helps....

--zep

sent from my EVO4g via Tapaftalk

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2009 GT's front glass says Pilkington. It does have the proper symbol though. The rest of my glass is normal tempered glass, made by the company listed by the OP.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
My 2009 GT's front glass says Pilkington. It does have the proper symbol though. The rest of my glass is normal tempered glass, made by the company listed by the OP.

pilkington is a brand alot of windshield shops use, every windshield i had replaced by my local glass shop has been a pilkington

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
Here u go

For the record, these pics were taken from a used 2009.1 v6 on the lot of a local dealership.

Oddly, the windshield of MY 2009.1 car does NOT have any of these graphics on it.

Go figure. :huh:

Hope this helps....

--zep

sent from my EVO4g via Tapaftalk
The first picture is exactly how my OEM windshield looked. Your second picture is a PGW (PPG) replacement windshield. I have the same exact logo on the windshield I had installed after my OEM cracked.

·
Have Bar Will Travel
716 Posts
i have the same front glass. all automotive glass
is a two glass and laminate sandwich. maybe the
laminate is thicker on our windshields.
Only the windshield on the G8's are laminated. All the other glass is single sheet safety glass designed to break into small pieces.
Nope...They are a European Company. They are used on like 1 out of 3 European cars (MB, BMW, Audi, etc.)

Good luck on finding a Sekuirt replacement - I couldn't get one sourced from 3 different glass companies in So Cal where windshields are replaced at the same rate as McDonalds serves Big Macs!! I en ded up going with a PGW windshield that has their acoustic layer called "Soundmaster" installed. It's as quiet as the OEM piece was.
As far as I know there are only 3 companies that make automotive glass. BTW those same companies make aerospace glass.

PPG, Pilkington, and Saint Grobahn (sp?). They all bid a contract with the companies and sometimes producers change during a production run.

Keep that in mind.

PPG is American, Pilkington is UK and AUS, and Saint etc is German. as far as prime headquarters and production facilities.

I have the Saint etc Sekurit glass on my car, I will need to look for the symbol now.

Also despite what some think. Safety tempered glass is multilayered.

Also ALL automotive glass has acrylic layers in between the glass layers. Subtle difference between American standards and EU standards. DOT requires that the outer most and inner most layer, but glass. In the EU you are allowed to let the inner layer be Acrylic.

Also that acoustic layer is a thicker ammount of acrylic. That is if what I was told is true.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Very close, Saint Gobain. Thanks for the info. Mine was replaced a couple years ago, so I'll have to go see who made it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Getting my windshield replaced on Wednesday due to a rock chip repair that didn't work out. Was sandblasted and slightly delaminating anyway, so it was time. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
So, got it replaced today. And so far I'm not happy. There's a constant creaking between the dash and windshield over every little bump. There's also some extra wind noise from what sounds like the top of the windshield. Wife is the one who dropped it off / picked it up, otherwise I would have pulled an immediate U-Turn. I'll take it in tomorrow, hopefully they're take care of the issue.

Like I said, there's more wind noise, but I believe that's an install issue, not the windshield. Overall engine noise, road noise, etc sounds the same as before. The new Pilkington glass is acoustic glass, and has a little 'ear' on the logo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most of my wind noise comes from the sunroof. At interstate speeds its so annoying that I have to keep the sun shade closed. I thought about getting one of those deflectors, but I am not sure if I will like that on the roof.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Most of my wind noise comes from the sunroof. At interstate speeds its so annoying that I have to keep the sun shade closed. I thought about getting one of those deflectors, but I am not sure if I will like that on the roof.
Have yet to get into a moonroof equppied vehicle and not get noise, usually closing the shade does it on all of them

I never have the shade open, hate that light over my head

·
Registered
12 Posts
new to the G8 GT world- loud exhaust note at 2k RPMs? normal?

The engine sounds great throughout the RPM range except for at about 2k. Is this normal?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts