Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust broke right before the flexpipe that leads to the muffler on the passenger side. I most likely going to bring it to a shop to handle fixing it as I dont own a welder, but do you guys think it can just be welded back together or should I get a new flexpipe?

·
Vendor
400 Posts
I don't think the flex pipe can be repaired but they can probably replace it. Seems like a great time to order an aftermarket exhaust. We have some nice options if you're interested. Probably won't cost much more if you install it yourself.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I did recently change out the headers and cats but I'd like to keep the rest of the exhaust stock as I prefer stock level sound which the rear mufflers and the mid muffler give me, so isn't really worth it for me to upgrade the rest of the exhaust if I'm just going to keep the stock mufflers at the back and install either the stock mid muffler back in or buy an aftermarket mid muffler.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Best way to repair it is to eliminate the restrictive flex joints. These ones won't rust out. Use one half on each side to replace the flex and flange.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion. Out of curiosity, I have to assume the flex pipe is there for a reason, so is there any downside to replacing it with a rigid pipe?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The flex pipe is to minimize resonance from the engine. Solo exhaust has the flex pipe in their high flow cats as well. I really am unable to compare the difference with and without a flex pipe. But Solo may have done the testing as they told me using the flex pipe is the more expensive route to build the high flow cats.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you're keeping stock exhaust, just get it welded back together at the muffler shop. I know my shop wouldn't charge more than $20 for just patching something up like that. Even if it only lasts a couple years, it's saving ya money.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
GM put the flex joint in to reduce drone. Same flex on the stock cats. The GXP exhaust doesn't not use them. Front or rear. I'm having those made to fit my Solo Mach Balanced so I can either run the J-pipes or stock mufflers.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the updates. There are only 2 exhaust shops in the area by me, but I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The same issue keeps me from getting the Texas speed headers cuz you have to cut the xpipe. Those joints are so rusty yet the rest of the exhaust seems ok. Really curious how much an exhaust shop would charge for a job like this as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts