Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go.... been doing a lot of reading and I think this is my path with my 09 GT.

Starting with exhaust, I have rear J pipes but just want some more sound so I'm planning a mid muffler delete with an X pipe and leaving resonators. Any input on this?

Second of all, hearing this setup with a cam n tune would probably motivate me to get off my wallet a little quicker!

Looking forward to some tips and links!

·
Premium Member
6,951 Posts
Welcome to the forum Schooter.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Welcome. Are you going to replace the cats? They choke the exhaust and hold back a lot of sound. You would gain more performance and sound with Solo cats. Just keeping the resonators is not enough sound control for the street and not have the cops constantly on your ass. Then replace the crushed pipe between the muffler and resonators, depending the condition of the muffler

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome. Are you going to replace the cats? They choke the exhaust and hold back a lot of sound. You would gain more performance and sound with Solo cats. Just keeping the resonators is not enough sound control for the street and not have the cops constantly on your ass. Then replace the crushed pipe between the muffler and resonators, depending the condition of the muffler

Thanks for the input, ill check out the cats. Muffler is ready to get tossed, I see you have kook's mids? how's the sound?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

ordered magnaflow 12468 instead of just an x pipe. It looks like this should be close to the sound I want for now.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Wrong size, but you will find out soon enough. Exhaust is 2.25”, that muffler is 2.5”

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There have been lots and lots of discussions over time regarding exhaust and cam options. Plenty of info, photos, and video available with some searching. Tip - I usually search starting from google versus using the forum search tool.

Reactions: Schooter

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cam wise - smaller is better. These cars are heavy - they need a torquey cam. Unless its strictly a racecar, a big cam (high RPM power band) may be faster than stock, but not the most advantageous for overall performance. Are you planning a DOD delete or keeping DOD active after your cam swap?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cam wise - smaller is better. These cars are heavy - they need a torquey cam. Unless its strictly a racecar, a big cam (high RPM power band) may be faster than stock, but not the most advantageous for overall performance. Are you planning a DOD delete or keeping DOD active after your cam swap?
ordering Texas speed f35 stage 4 cam. Potentially ordering nitrous outlet spray kit to go with instead of turbo 🙄🙄

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll be getting the dod delete kit as well

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you remove the cats you may find that selling them will possibly pay for the rest of the exhaust. They seem to be going for a premium right now, especially 08 models.

Also, that cam will certainly need a stall. And a stall tends to make things warmer so probably good to get an aux cooler. And while the trans is out might as well swap to a Camaro pan.....💸

Reactions: Schooter

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you remove the cats you may find that selling them will possibly pay for the rest of the exhaust. They seem to be going for a premium right now, especially 08 models.

Also, that cam will certainly need a stall. And a stall tends to make things warmer so probably good to get an aux cooler. And while the trans is out might as well swap to a Camaro pan.....💸
And get Pat G to tune it, dude is amazing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts