Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started my G8 like any normal day, except this time my check engine light was on, not sure the cause haven’t been bashing on it or anything, went and got the codes read they were
P0158
P0056
P0161
P0060
They came back as bank 2 sensor 2 high voltage, bank 2 sensor 2 open circuit, bank 2 sensor 2 performance heater fault and I forgot the other one but it was another bank 2 sensor 2 code, my guess is that all these snow/rain here in Ohio could be to blame but not sure Mainly what I’m asking is 1. Will replacing the 02 sensor fix the issue? Or should I look further
2. Bank 2 sensor 2 is the sensor after the cat on the passenger side correct?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sensor 2 is the rear sensor, and Bank 2 is Passenger side.

There is a short somewhere in the system, and frankly, the O2 sensor is the most likely place. That said, you should check the connections to see if they're loose.

Check for exposed wires near the manifolds to see if the heat shields or heat wraps have deteriorated.

Unplug the sensor itself and check it with a multimeter for continuity and resistance. If it fails, you've identified a bad sensor.

It would be worth replacing all of them since you're going to be in there if you indeed prove it has failed.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
So I started my G8 like any normal day, except this time my check engine light was on, not sure the cause haven’t been bashing on it or anything, went and got the codes read they were
P0158
P0056
P0161
P0060
They came back as bank 2 sensor 2 high voltage, bank 2 sensor 2 open circuit, bank 2 sensor 2 performance heater fault and I forgot the other one but it was another bank 2 sensor 2 code, my guess is that all these snow/rain here in Ohio could be to blame but not sure Mainly what I’m asking is 1. Will replacing the 02 sensor fix the issue? Or should I look further
2. Bank 2 sensor 2 is the sensor after the cat on the passenger side correct?
How old are your spark plugs? I was chasing "O2 sensor" codes last summer, and even replacing all four O2 sensors and pulling the cats to inspect them didn't help. It turns out my plugs were past their sell by date. I took a flyer, replaced the plugs, and I haven't had a CEL since.

And yes, I realize saying that I will have a CEL tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I’ll have some time this weekend to get under there and check them out, sparks plugs from my knowledge may be original...I’ll play around with the sensors and see if o can get it to go off, if the codes change or anything I’ll let you guys know I’ll check the plugs as well too may even just replace them for the heck of it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Tomorrow? Try right now! :D **Knock on Wood**

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
3 of those codes (P0056 P0060 P0161) are all saying the heater within that bank 2 sensor 2 has failed. P0158 says that your bank 2 sensor 2 is sending back a very high/very rich voltage signal back to the ECM. Maybe that's what a sensor does *if* its internal heater fails. If new plugs do not solve those code problems, it sure reads as thou you need a new sensor at that location.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
3 of those codes (P0056 P0060 P0161) are all saying the heater within that bank 2 sensor 2 has failed. P0158 says that your bank 2 sensor 2 is sending back a very high/very rich voltage signal back to the ECM. Maybe that's what a sensor does *if* its internal heater fails. If new plugs do not solve those code problems, it sure reads as thou you need a new sensor at that location.
Do the plugs first, they're a lot easier. I assumed from an earlier inspection that my plugs were fine, so I put out a lot of extra effort and money for nothing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Seems like we just went through this on another vehicle a couple weeks ago.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah that’s very smilar! Yeah my CEL came on after talking about with someone else the passed the troubles to me like cooties or something haha....but do you guys have any suggestions for spark plugs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got around to changing th plugs this weekend they weren’t too bad honestly but they were a set of ac Delco ones slight bit of oil on a couple of them I replaced them all with the NGK laser iridium ones...still have the CEL on but I checked the PIDs on them and all but the b2s2 had same reading I’ll attach a photo ...unfortunately no one stocks the o2 sensors so I ordered them I will change those next and see what that does.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts