Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would put them as far towards the back of the vehicle as you can. Its going to be loud regardless, but better to have that sound behind you than right underneath your feet.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
FWIW, Running 3in system cat back with mid muff into stock muffs. QTP oval placed in front of the muffs. Mid muff tames it just enough, no obnoxious rasp with cutouts open.. Cutouts closed, Sinatra easy listening.

Reactions: Jam1000r

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would put them as far towards the back of the vehicle as you can. Its going to be loud regardless, but better to have that sound behind you than right underneath your feet.
Do you think putting them on the straight part of the pipe between the resonators and mufflers would make a big difference in sound? I have solo axle-backs right now.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Solos are straight pipe with tuning cavity. In my opinion not worth adding cutout unless off headers to give innocent bystanders bleeding ears which is very uncool.

Reactions: MGMGXP

·
Registered
360 Posts
Between the resonators and the mufflers is probably your best bet. Others have chimed in saying the sound difference knowing you already have solo axelbacks may not be that substantial. It may not be the mild to wild that cutouts are typically installed for. It'll be more like loud rumble to a loud, raw, closer to raspy, roar.
Each has their own opinion. I have never been a fan of full muffler delete straight pipe sound. The sound tuning even a minimum straight through muffler design like Solo is much more ear pleasing.
Let us know how the project turns out!

·
Registered
Sport Red Metallic G8 GT | Stock exhaust with borla mufflers.
30 Posts
I replaced the mid muffler with an x pipe before and it can be pretty noisy right below the drivers seat if you get on the gas, so maybe take that into consideration if you don't want noise or vibration right below you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts