Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my mufflers to put in the rear diff and upon re-installation the exhaust flanges are warped where they connect to the muffler. Both sides exactly the same. Where the bolts go it's fine, it's in the middle where it's going to leak. Bought new gaskets too. Anybody else seen this? I guess I just have to use a die grinder to try and make it flat again. Just weird both sides are like that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Die grinder isn't working. Exhaust shop here said they use a belt sander. I'm surprised no one else has had this issue.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Fwiw, others have reported using rtv/gasket maker with success. Might be worth the try. Exhaust it hot, but excessive back at that flange.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I just put my solo axlebacks on yesterday and I made sure to paint those flanges with some rustoleum. Hopefully that'll prevent any major issues.

Have you tried using a torch and heating them up enough that you could hammer them flat again?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
my kooks pipes are warped to hell. i used some rtv to try and seal the gap but its still leaking slightly. ill grind them flat when i have time

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Typical when bolts get over tightened, the flanges warp. Use a hammer and a straight edge to straighten them. grinding them will make it thinner and warp easier. Get new gaskets and you should be good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts