Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
As far as true dual I guess I'd also have to assume no. But I was comparing my y pipe exhaust on my "dual" exhaust grand prix which has a single cat.

The g8 has 2 cats. And the lady told me it was true dual. Dual from the headers? I'm not sure...

·
Smurfette's a whore
240 Posts
Guys, the GTO was true dual in all years. The pipe between the '04's pipes was for support but was blocked off completely. The resonator in the '05/'06 had NO exhaust crossover between the two sides. I would guess that the resonator on the G8 is the same way with no mixing between banks.

That said, putting an H-pipe on the '05/'06 GTO was shown to give NO performance advantage over stock, all it did was change the sound. Exhaust scavenging is great if you need it, but if you engineer the flow rate of the exhaust well enough it's not necessary. Basically you just end up with 2 4-cylinder exhaust systems.

The G8 may have a crossover in the resonator, but even if it doesn't there probably won't be much of a gain in putting in an X or H-pipe. Other than better sound by eliminating the resonator.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
True duals means that output from one side of the header manifold never touches output from the other side. It is highly unlikely that the G8 (or any new vehicle for that matter) has true duals from the factory.
Funny, our GTO's did!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
See this picture. Usually you can see markings (or outlines) on the outside case of a muffler, resonator, etc, where internal welds have been made. In the case of this resonator (the first piece in this picture) I do not see weld points, therefore it looks like this resonator is nothing more than perforated straight pipes through the case, utilizing whatever material the resonator manufacturer filled it with to quell noise. That means, this is a true dual setup.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts