Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Recently (December ish) I bought a 2009 G8 GT. I immediately noticed things like GXP wheels, magnaflow axle back, brembo fronts, and a factory (I assume) air intake that is missing the radiator cover so I assume a rotofab was in place before. Car runs and drives great.

I noticed the magnaflow axle back was a little louder than the ones I heard on YouTube. Today, being a warmer sunny day, got me outside and under the car. I noticed that the mid muffler and every resonator rear of the mid muffler has been removed and replaced with straight pipes (read: no crossover anywhere in the system).

I have been contemplating an X pipe in the system. What would I gain from doing so? The tone seems mellow and fairly balanced as it is now. Is there a performance gain to be had?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,913 Posts
It probly wouldnt be a bad idea to have someone weld in an xpipe for you but the gains would probly be minimal and you definitely wouldnt be able to tell anything with your butt dyno.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
i'm about to put a magnaflow x in my exhaust on my GXP and hack out everything that is in the mid pipe... i'll let you know on friday.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Any 2.25" to 2.5" xpipe will work....ebaY special....

I used a 2.5" x from Magnaflow, and then upgraded to a resonated xpipe, Magnaflow 12468, which eliminated all drone.

·
Super Moderator
4,913 Posts
Any 2.25" to 2.5" xpipe will work....ebaY special....

I used a 2.5" x from Magnaflow, and then upgraded to a resonated xpipe, Magnaflow 12468, which eliminated all drone.
OP if I were you I would consider the the 12468 that SRG is recommending. It will be a two birds with one stone scenario considering you get the x pipe and drone killer in one package.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
X-Pipe will improve exhaust flow, and raise the sound up an octave in most cases which typically sounds better. I have heard a Magnaflow AB in person and if I remember right its got a deeper metallic throaty sound. I found it to be actually really quiet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I'm not bothered to much by drone but I pan to go to a solo axle back so it may go ahead with the resonated X.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts