Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust sounds like poo. i have stock piping with stock manifolds/cats. I have had the mid muffler replaced with a 2.5" X pipe and the resonators removed. I have Maximizer axle backs. it sounds like ****. shouldn't it sound louder? this is a cold start up. thoughts? advice?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes thats my next project. Thinking about Manzos.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The louder the car, the smaller the penis.
Not necessarily, some people like their car with a lot of sound, some people like the attention and some like it for other reasons. Me preferably, I like the sleeper sound.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Not necessarily, some people like their car with a lot of sound, some people like the attention and some like it for other reasons. Me preferably, I like the sleeper sound.
I don't think he was serious.... :D

Now, you said you wanted loud, but that usually negates the sleeper. I have come to agree with folks that said removing the resonators would be a bad idea. The louder you get, the more you're going to miss that high frequency attenuation that those resonators provide. These GT pipes are 2.25" which serves to increase the frequency of the sound. Read about pipe organs and you'll see what I mean; it is a similar concept.

I never really considered removing the resonators, but in discussions that decision was solidified by recommendations against removing them from the stock mid-pipes. I am glad I kept mine in. Better growl with less spit. Under throttle, more roar less hoarseness. That may be the source of your displeasure.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
And I know, I really pulled the dork card with THAT post... :p

·
Registered
649 Posts
Easiest thing would be to change your axle backs. Since you took out everything in the middle... if you went with Solos, it should be pretty loud.

I agree with Jova though. If you go to a louder muffler (or no muffler in the case of Solos), you're likely to get a bunch of unwanted noise without having those resonators. The fix there would be to order a fresh cat-back of your choosing.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm serious. The world doesn't need more loud, 13 second cars.
LOL More bark than bite, eh? Who's countin'? :D

That reminds me, I need to take a few good runs at the strip to see where my mods got me. I certainly don't want to fall into the 13 second loud car range LOL. That would make me feel just awful...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm serious. The world doesn't need more loud, 13 second cars.
Is that a Mustang joke lol.

As for the original post, follow the footsteps of many others. Kooks LT, and Corsa catback and never look back.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Is that a Mustang joke lol.

As for the original post, follow the footsteps of many others. Kooks LT, and Corsa catback and never look back.
Not if that's a newer mustang. The one I had ran a 12.2 with no power adders other than a loud exhaust and a tune! No G8 can do that with so little modifications.

OP, make sure you think about your end game. Many fail to do that end up spending far more money than needed on exhaust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts