Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,020 Posts
Looking at RockAuto, newer LS based starters from the Camaro and Caprice with pretty much our same engine will probably mount up. The 3 wiring connections are arranged a little different, and one switched from a stud to a clip-in harness. I do not know if they are any faster though. Just newer...

G8

Camera accessory Font Screenshot Circle Auto part

Camaro/Caprice

Camera accessory Font Machine Automotive wheel system Flash photography

· Premium Member
10,683 Posts
What is the condition of the battery? Faster as in spins faster?

· Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Automotive lighting Machine Tool Camera accessory Font

· Registered
3,017 Posts
Please report back once installed. Thank you

Reactions: kurazy kracka

· Registered
106 Posts
Please report back once installed. Thank you
threw it in tonight, took about 45 minutes. I have kooks longtubes and just had to finagle stock starter out, powermaster slides right in real easily. I didn't use any shims, clocked it 180*, and straightened out the power terminal with some pliers. Cranks insanely fast compared to OEM. I have a LQ9 block so not sure if that makes any difference for material in the way/not in the way. I'll be curious to see how it performs when heat soaked but cold it cranks at least 2x faster.

I did not put the dust shield on, haven't had it on forever now though. Dust shield may require a bit of trimming, I might do it while I have car in the air.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Locking hubs Automotive design

· Premium Member
10,683 Posts
The Power Master 9509 starter has mixed reviews on Summit Racing and interested to see how it fares in the future. Any particular reason(s) for removing the heat shield?

· Registered
3,017 Posts
threw it in tonight, took about 45 minutes. I have kooks longtubes and just had to finagle stock starter out, powermaster slides right in real easily. I didn't use any shims, clocked it 180*, and straightened out the power terminal with some pliers. Cranks insanely fast compared to OEM. I have a LQ9 block so not sure if that makes any difference for material in the way/not in the way. I'll be curious to see how it performs when heat soaked but cold it cranks at least 2x faster.

I did not put the dust shield on, haven't had it on forever now though. Dust shield may require a bit of trimming, I might do it while I have car in the air.
Good to know it fit with headers, thanks for letting us know.

· Premium Member
10,683 Posts
If I recall correctly, kurazy has a vehicle lift which changes the dynamics a bit.

· Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Whatcha need a faster stater for? Just curious.

Reactions: Thawk

· Registered
836 Posts
If you have room, you can swap the G8 nose end to the 427 Z06 starter, it hs much larger magnets and armature, but longer from the G8 nose end being longer

· Registered
72 Posts
I put in a used one from a Escalade, the stock dust shield would not work with it though. Cranks faster than it ever has, looked up the differences on Rock Auto, the Escalade starter has a higher kw rating from our stock starter at 1.4 to the Escalade's 1.7. Just need a dust shield to match the larger snout. The positive cable was a bit of a pain as well, had to reroute it some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts