Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got everything but the pads and some front bolts, I'll order those today or tomorrow. I'm really torn with doing the install myself or paying my local shop to do it. Part of me wants the satisfaction of doing it myself, but then the other part thinks that about $400 to swap out the calipers/pads/rotors, flush the old fluid/refill with new, and bleed the brakes seems like a fair deal at $100 a wheel. Helps keep a local shop in business and pays their employees. Then I think that $400 could go to subframe braces or other mods. (sigh)

I've thought of the last few questions I can think of regarding the install. If you have any advice or thoughts, please let me know.

1) For the front banjo-bolts where the fluid comes into the caliper, re-use GT bolt or order new one?
2) Remove parking break shoe or just leave in place even though it won't connect with Camaro rotor?
3) Trimming dust shield: die grinder cutter or tin snips?
4) Overall, how long did it take you?

Thanks!

· Registered
3,056 Posts
i wouldn't pay a local shop out of the kindness of my heart, but I would if my time was valuable and I didn't want to spend my saturday afternoon in the garage, or I didn't feel comfortable with my skills.

$400 seems like a pretty good deal, but also if there's an issue, they may claim your mod is the problem and it's not their install work. depends on how well you know the shop.

· Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I trust them with my car. They do VW/Audi work also and I've been going there for years. Cost breakdown is about $90 for the complete flush/refill/re-bleed which I was gonna have them do regardless if I did the brakes or they did. So it would be fairly cheap per corner accounting for that.

They'd also stand by their install work. When they put the tires/wheels on Christine they said they did a road test and it felt fine but said if I had any problems after the tires were broken in they'd take care of it.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I also know that there's going to be some stubborn parts considering it's a Michigan car (salt=rusted bolts) and they could do it faster with a lift and air tools.

· Registered
96 Posts
1. I've seen quite a few people re use the stock bolt.
2. I would remove it or I would imagine it would rattle.
3. not sure if tin snips will cut it so I would have a cut off wheel handy.
4. should be around 2 hours if your familiar with brakes and bleeding them

I just did my sister's 07 fj cruiser over the weekend, 4 calipers, rotors, pads and bleed them. Took me 2.5 hours
I'd be willing to give you a hand to save you some cash if your interested let me know.
I live near Livonia and work in Warren.

Jesse

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very much appreciated Jesse. It's one of those jobs that would always go smoother with two people. I might have a buddy up here that could give me a hand though, I'll check with him and let you know.

I'm guessing you have a decently stocked garage? I've got a small/medium socket set that should cover it, some torx bits and other odds/ends I could bring. Probly pick up jack stands and leave 'em with you as a thanks ;)

· Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, bolts and Pads ordered...

Assuming the parts come in by Thursday next week she'll be getting things put on Friday at the shop. I was going to do it myself but when I was talking to my Mom yesterday she asked how things were coming with the brakes. After a few minutes she mentioned she'd pay for the install at the shop, which I can only assume was mom-speak for "I'm worried about you messing with the brakes on your car". I agreed but told her I insisted on paying her back in the next month or so.

So yeah, next weekend she'll be all set... I guess I should look into detailing stuff so I can make use of the long weekend and maybe get her nice and clean. :)

· Registered
3,056 Posts
I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I also know that there's going to be some stubborn parts considering it's a Michigan car (salt=rusted bolts) and they could do it faster with a lift and air tools.
i drove mine through 1 buffalo winter and i literally had to pound the hell out of my rotors with a big ass metal mallet to get them off. hardest part of the job by far.

· Registered
2,578 Posts
You'll want to get new copper washers for the banjo bolts just in case they fall apart. You're not changing the lines so they should be okay but they're cheap so it might be worth picking up 4 of them.

· Registered
2,578 Posts
I did my brakes in February. I used a DIY shop and it was the right move. A couple of bolts needed a 2 foot pipe to get leverage. Much easier with the car at shoulder height. Definitely plan for a full day without a lift, but it's just as fun if not a little more back breaking. If it helps, know that the G8s brakes are insanely easy to service.

· Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i drove mine through 1 buffalo winter and i literally had to pound the hell out of my rotors with a big ass metal mallet to get them off. hardest part of the job by far.
I did my brakes in February. I used a DIY shop and it was the right move. A couple of bolts needed a 2 foot pipe to get leverage. Much easier with the car at shoulder height. Definitely plan for a full day without a lift, but it's just as fun if not a little more back breaking. If it helps, know that the G8s brakes are insanely easy to service.
Eeesh.... yeah, things like this are why I'm glad I took my Mom up on her offer. It sounds odd saying "Mom helped me out" when I'm 40 years old, but if it means I don't have to fight with rusted bolts/bust a knuckle and things are done by proffesionals... well, so be it. :)

· Registered
2,578 Posts
I think I'm making it sound worse than it is. It's a very straight forward job but yeah, a couple of bolts may give you trouble. Even in the salt belt of Ontario, my rotors came off no problem.

· One of them OGOC folks
352 Posts
You'll want to get new copper washers for the banjo bolts just in case they fall apart. You're not changing the lines so they should be okay but they're cheap so it might be worth picking up 4 of them.
Any time you undo a banjo bolt, you should use new washers. New calipers should always come with them anyway. Torque spec for 4 piston Brembo caliper is 30 lb ft, for 6 piston it's 36 lb ft. If Camaro rear calipers, 30, if 2nd gen CTS-V, 36.

I haven't done this swap myself yet...but good chance I will be soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.