Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah buddy! Got my car back today from Slowhawk Performance. Don & crew nailed it. My car is a year round daily driver, and I wanted to make the car more fun/reliable.

Slowhawk speced the cam based on my needs. A nice mid range 227/231 Comp Cam. All supporting mods (valve springs, timing chain, gear, dampener, oil pump, head bolts, trans cooler, etc) included in this build.

I also complimented the new cam with a Yank 3200 SS Converter and B&M Trans cooler.

After the install, my numbers bumped up from 347/355 to 400/375 on Don's non-number friendly Mustang Dyno lol.

For those about the HP, add about 25-30 to those numbers for what you'd read on a Dynojet.

Impressions: Driveability is excellent. The goal of making the car more fun to drive has certainly been achieved and then some. Still getting 25+ MPG on the highway. Losing probably 2-3 MPG around town. The power increase mated with the Yank converter has transformed the car completely! It's got some serious snot now.

Driving normally, the stall is very tame. However if you go from a hit, be prepared to steer!!

This thing is bad, and I've wanted this set up since I bought the car two years ago. Finally! I love it! Perfect balance between daily driver and monster. Driving around under normal throttle is wonderful. But if I keep "romping" the throttle a little bit here and there, I'm gunna need new tires pretty soon :eek::eek:

At idle, it has a great cammed chop. I will add a video soon so you guys can hear it. This is a great set up!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Congrats man!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
your build sounds like the build im going for a daily driven street car

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your build sounds like the build im going for a daily driven street car
You'll love it.

FYI some history with the car... my lifters failed at around 20k miles and they were replaced under warranty. No issue since, but very recently started hearing a faint "tick" noise reflecting off Jersey barriers and such while cruising with the windows down. Didn't think much of it, and just dismissed it as header noise.

Turns out my stock cam was getting chewed up! When my tuner pulled it this week, the lobe furthest to the rear of the cam was all beat up and so were several lifters... Good thing I brought it in when I did, otherwise it would have chewed itself up worse. Thankfully all that stuff is gone now, and she's got a real cam in it now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it will be some time before I start ordering parts for my car as I just put 24'' on my dually I was looking into the circle d 3200 stall is the yank ss a better stall to look into?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
How much did all that cost? Parts+Labor? I'm contemplating cams if I don't reach my power goals with nitrous.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You'll love it.

FYI some history with the car... my lifters failed at around 20k miles and they were replaced under warranty. No issue since, but very recently started hearing a faint "tick" noise reflecting off Jersey barriers and such while cruising with the windows down. Didn't think much of it, and just dismissed it as header noise.

Turns out my stock cam was getting chewed up! When my tuner pulled it this week, the lobe furthest to the rear of the cam was all beat up and so were several lifters... Good thing I brought it in when I did, otherwise it would have chewed itself up worse. Thankfully all that stuff is gone now, and she's got a real cam in it now.
Mine car makes horrible noises when dod activates itt makes the car sound likes its breaking down, but when dods not active its fine

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much did all that cost? Parts+Labor? I'm contemplating cams if I don't reach my power goals with nitrous.
PM me and I will break it down for you.

A lot of people fear stalls. I take it you don't anymore.......
I am pissed that I didn't do a stall on day one of ownership! haha. After driving it with the Yank, I am so pleased with it. It's a lot more fun now and honestly I would prefer it over a manual. If I ever buy a Camaro one day, it will be an auto. I would go with a manual for a Corvette though (dreaming.... one day... one day... haha.)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it will be some time before I start ordering parts for my car as I just put 24'' on my dually I was looking into the circle d 3200 stall is the yank ss a better stall to look into?
I am not sure how the Circle D converter compares to the Yank, but from what I've heard they're good. Two different brands of stall converters with the same stall speed will have different characteristics. I did my research and decided that the Yank 3200 SS would be best for my driving. It's a converter designed for daily driving and street use. I'm sure other brands have similar designs but it's all about doing your homework and picking out what's best for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds exactly what I want to do! Have fun with the beast!

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
PM me and I will break it down for you.

I am pissed that I didn't do a stall on day one of ownership! haha. After driving it with the Yank, I am so pleased with it. It's a lot more fun now and honestly I would prefer it over a manual. If I ever buy a Camaro one day, it will be an auto. I would go with a manual for a Corvette though (dreaming.... one day... one day... haha.)
I told ya :), Yank or any verter for that matter, would transform the car, and make the car really more fun to drive, Wait until you slap the DR's and take her for a spin. I'll be doing a cam next, finally :angel:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
God this makes me want a stall so bad.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I told ya :), Yank or any verter for that matter, would transform the car, and make the car really more fun to drive, Wait until you slap the DR's and take her for a spin. I'll be doing a cam next, finally :angel:
Yeah you were right haha. If you have a 6l80, you don't know what you're missing without one. Don't think I'll do drag radials unless I decide to bring the car to the track sometime. This will be fun in the winter lol. I have snow tires though so I think she'll be ok.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a short driving clip. I know everyone's fixing for an idle clip, but it's been crappy outside and I will wait for it to get nicer so I can do a good cold start of the car and let it warm up.

I get into it a little bit, but the roads were too wet to do a hard pull. This is not even waking it up but you get the idea. Notice the calm drivability through the neighborhood :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Lol...there's on word in the video.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.