Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come! Spoke with my tuner yesterday and all my components for a DOD Delete cam swap will be ordered this week. Car won't actually go in for another 3 weeks, but I figured I'd share what the set up will be and take some input from you guys who have something similar.

Comp Cam - Specs are being kept secret for now, but it's something like a 225/239 115 lsa. I actually don't know what the true specs are yet.

Brian Tooley dual valve springs
LS7 Lifters
ARP Head Bolts
(More DOD Delete Parts, gaskets, etc, listed)

Yank 3200 SS Converter
B&M 11 X 7.5 inch Cooler

All new fluids, and 160 degree T Stat.

Car is my daily driver and this set up has been speced as such. Should be very reliable and well mannered on the streets, and it will have a sweet little LS chop at idle. Made around 350 rwhp to the wheels (mustang dyno) with my current mods and we're estimating the finishing numbers will be around 400.

I'm pumped! Glad the car is picking up some good HP, but overall I want the car to be more fun to drive. This should do the trick!

· Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I'm pumped! Glad the car is picking up some good HP, but overall I want the car to be more fun to drive. This should do the trick!
And you should be!!! Congrats man, its like getting a whole new car after a cam goes in. Some simple supporting mods like a modified AirRam Intake by Rick Crawford and a set of ported heads pairs very well with a cammed setup and gives it a gnarly top end pull!!!

Keep us up to date with lots of pictures, videos, and of course kill stories LOL

· Registered
2,180 Posts
The time has come! Spoke with my tuner yesterday and all my components for a DOD Delete cam swap will be ordered this week. Car won't actually go in for another 3 weeks, but I figured I'd share what the set up will be and take some input from you guys who have something similar.

Comp Cam - Specs are being kept secret for now, but it's something like a 225/239 115 lsa. I actually don't know what the true specs are yet.

Brian Tooley dual valve springs
LS7 Lifters
ARP Head Bolts
(More DOD Delete Parts, gaskets, etc, listed)

Yank 3200 SS Converter
B&M 11 X 7.5 inch Cooler

All new fluids, and 160 degree T Stat.

Car is my daily driver and this set up has been speced as such. Should be very reliable and well mannered on the streets, and it will have a sweet little LS chop at idle. Made around 350 rwhp to the wheels (mustang dyno) with my current mods and we're estimating the finishing numbers will be around 400.

good looking list of mods... unless you're where its always hot i dont think the stat is worth it

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Looks good! The 115 LSA should help the idle be fairly tame. Let us know the exact specs when you feel like it. I am very intreged.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good looking list of mods... unless you're where its always hot i dont think the stat is worth it
It's a nice little addition. My tuner always recommends them. Car should be safe for a few passes at the local strip in the heat of summer.

Looks good! The 115 LSA should help the idle be fairly tame. Let us know the exact specs when you feel like it. I am very intreged.
The cam has around -1 degrees of overlap so you will definitely be able to tell it's cammed, yet it won't be anything ridiculous. It will probably sound similar to the Livernois Stage 1 cam at idle. Something mild which is perfect for me.

· Registered
2,180 Posts
It's a nice little addition. My tuner always recommends them. Car should be safe for a few passes at the local strip in the heat of summer.
in old iron blocks it was great, but these aluminum motors tend to like a lil more heat, i make better power and can run the same amount of timing at 190 as i do at 165... to that same end your fans logic control isn't conducive to maintaining that 165... less you're running the fans constantly... so if consistency is something you're looking for that doesn't help.

just speaking from my own tuning experience.

search, there is a ton of debate, but proof is there.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in old iron blocks it was great, but these aluminum motors tend to like a lil more heat, i make better power and can run the same amount of timing at 190 as i do at 165... to that same end your fans logic control isn't conducive to maintaining that 165... less you're running the fans constantly... so if consistency is something you're looking for that doesn't help.

just speaking from my own tuning experience.

search, there is a ton of debate, but proof is there.
Yes I hear ya. I just go by what my tuner says and don't question him lol.

· Registered
2,180 Posts
Yes I hear ya. I just go by what my tuner says and don't question him lol.
saint didnt question his first tuner... just saying

either way lookin forward to seeing your build unfold, bad ass ride man! :patriot:

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
saint didnt question his first tuner... just saying

either way lookin forward to seeing your build unfold, bad ass ride man! :patriot:
I will report back with the results! Lol

· Fuel Low
589 Posts
Congrats man! You'll love it. BTW, my tuner put in a 160* stat in my car and it runs great. I drag race it in the 11 sec range and have road raced it at the track in Texas heat and the temp never got close to overheating.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats man! You'll love it. BTW, my tuner put in a 160* stat in my car and it runs great. I drag race it in the 11 sec range and have road raced it at the track in Texas heat and the temp never got close to overheating.
11's? Wow! What are your mods? I've never made a pass with my car but everyone says it would probably run in the 12's with my mods. Key phrase, "everyone says" lol.

· Registered
63 Posts
11's? Wow! What are your mods? I've never made a pass with my car but everyone says it would probably run in the 12's with my mods. Key phrase, "everyone says" lol.
We have very similar mods. On a 2.1 60' I went 13.0 @ 106. So both of us should be able to get in to the high 12's with a decent 60'.

· Premium Member
3,675 Posts
cammed, heads, and stalled G8 should run 11's all day long! If you can hook it....I have a similar set up to what you are doing and mine runs 11.5's all day now with a smaller stall than you (I also have a mild cam)l...

***Edit, just saw no headwork but i think it should still be high 11's with a good tire and 1.7 or less 60'

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cammed, heads, and stalled G8 should run 11's all day long! If you can hook it....I have a similar set up to what you are doing and mine runs 11.5's all day now with a smaller stall than you (I also have a mild cam)l...

***Edit, just saw no headwork but i think it should still be high 11's with a good tire and 1.7 or less 60'
No kidding, wow!! I saw your cam specs on your YouTube channel. How's that do as a daily driver? Any surging when you're cruising around or on the highway? I think I might ask my tuner to spec my cam a little more aggressive.

· Premium Member
3,675 Posts
No surging or pushing even before I put in the aftermarket converter. Still great as a dd just as before, my wife DD's it when the weather is nice. With me driving spirited on a mix of highway and country road I get 19mpg. Wife driving it gets 22+

I'm not sure how yours will be with the 3200, from what I've seen they are a bit sloppy and loose for my taste, as far as street driving goes. But you may like it, everyone's different.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No surging or pushing even before I put in the aftermarket converter. Still great as a dd just as before, my wife DD's it when the weather is nice. With me driving spirited on a mix of highway and country road I get 19mpg. Wife driving it gets 22+

I'm not sure how yours will be with the 3200, from what I've seen they are a bit sloppy and loose for my taste, as far as street driving goes. But you may like it, everyone's different.
Nice! Nah, the Yank 3200 is a pretty tight stall. All depends on the make. These are pretty popular for street cars.

· Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Nice! Nah, the Yank 3200 is a pretty tight stall. All depends on the make. These are pretty popular for street cars.
That's good. These are exciting times. This will be a long 3 weeks. LOL. But it's gonna be well worth the wait. I'm definitely interested to see your impression and track times. Keep us updated, we like lots of pics and videos!

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's good. These are exciting times. This will be a long 3 weeks. LOL. But it's gonna be well worth the wait. I'm definitely interested to see your impression and track times. Keep us updated, we like lots of pics and videos!
Yep, it's funny how that works. "Yeahh... I'm gunna probably cam the car sometime this spring."

And then when you actually pull the trigger you are itching for it! haha.

· Fuel Low
589 Posts
Small 2800 stall, cam, bolt-ons - no headwork unfortunately. It runs consistent 11's on a drag radial, and I only put down 444 HP. I might have 450 now that I had my throttle body ported.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.