Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I started rebuilding, my goal was to be as close to 600 rwhp as possible. Mainly because I wanted the transmission to hold up and I didn't feel HP after 600 was really usable on the road course anyways. Even now, I'm sure it's going to be a handful. This was the first day I ran the car in hot weather (78 degrees) as I've been tuning it in 28 - 35 degree temps. Looks like it's starting to run more lean (approaching 12AFR) in the hotter weather so we still have some tuning to do. In any rate, I now have a good base line pull for future changes, like going to 3" exhaust from my 2.25 or 2.5 (forget what they put on) or increasing RPMs to 7K after I fix the crank pulley wobble.

I asked Pat G to spec my out a cam to give me something that could develop 600 rwhp. So, here are the final results - and yes, all on 92 octane pump gas... no meth or e85:

Also - Special thanks to C&D Engines out here in Kirkland for helping me recover from the old engine damage! And Patrick G for making countless tuning changes to fit my needs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds amazing at WOT. Great combo Joel. Thanks for including me in this latest build. :)

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds amazing at WOT. Great combo Joel. Thanks for including me in this latest build. :)
And I'm glad I did! Thanks for helping me get it right this time around. I definitely learned my lesson on having a real tuner! lol

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Very nice Joel!

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, pretty happy with the build. Finally almost done.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Nice!!!!! Very nice!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
That front bumper cover is just bad ass! Oh yeah, great numbers too haha.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Wow! brats man! Damn nice!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Sick #'s bro - do you think may be time to go to 1-7/8" headers along w/ a 3" exhaust? Your car sure is snorting in some massive gulps of air....

·
Super Moderator
4,913 Posts
Man you have really taken massive steps with this car other the last several months. It turned out pretty sick. Gonna have to do a full on photo shoot out in the sunlight so we can really get a good look at it with the new bumper and hood.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That front bumper cover is just bad ass! Oh yeah, great numbers too haha.
Lol, thanks! The front bumper cover is frickin' awesome. One of my favorite parts of the car. Oh, and can't complain about the numbers almost hitting exactly 600... can't believe it's that close! Pretty happy.

Wow! brats man! Damn nice!
Thanks!

Sick #'s bro - do you think may be time to go to 1-7/8" headers along w/ a 3" exhaust? Your car sure is snorting in some massive gulps of air....
To be honest, I really don't have any reason to add more rwhp. The car is a handle full to drive and bangs gears pretty dang fast. I'm going to do several track days (with logging) along with switching to R-Comp tires before making more performance mods. From this point, I might just do more suspension and visual changes before anymore performance. Hell, if I want more HP, I could just switch to e85 and put down 50+ if not more.

Man you have really taken massive steps with this car other the last several months. It turned out pretty sick. Gonna have to do a full on photo shoot out in the sunlight so we can really get a good look at it with the new bumper and hood.
Seriously, my cam phone is not doing any justice. I take a picture, then look at the phone, and it's not even close to the same. I actually joked with a buddy of mine saying it wasn't a photogenic car. He laughed and said no way this car doesn't look good in a photo. Then snapped one in front of him... all he could say was, "WTF?" scratching his head. I have a nice Rebel that I'll use or I'll have a friend take a few pics in the sunlight. It's the combination of having a super clean car AND nice weather in WA that makes it hard to schedule.

If you ever get a chance to see it in person, it's simply amazing. People actually stop and stare at it as I drive by.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
09 SBM G8 GT
261 Posts
sounds great! whats up with the smoke coming out of your exhaust pipes at the end of the last run right before he lets off? had me worried for a second lol

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sounds great! whats up with the smoke coming out of your exhaust pipes at the end of the last run right before he lets off? had me worried for a second lol
Heh, no idea. I was logging the run and didn't have any knock...

I did buy bad gas before the dyno run... I confirmed with another car. During the road trip this weekend, my AFR went back to normal after getting gas from a gas station out of the area. I think we have some bad gas around here.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
jizzed in my pants

·
Registered
775 Posts
Nice number. I would have expected alot more out of your setup.
Comparing what you have to mine, seems you should be more powerful?
Either way, it's just a number and your car for sound great.

Reminds me of mine.
What do you shift at wot? I'm at 6750 and make 11.5lbs of boost.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm currently at 6800 redline and I try to start the shift around 6500 or 6600. I usually shifts just around 6800 like that. My gauge claims 13.8 - 14.2 PSI at redline (but I'm also 9.5:1 compression).

Yeah, IDK about the HP numbers, my AFR was off that day. I need to go out and do some more testing to verify and I'll dyno again later. The problem I have had is with bad weather, having to take my car back to a shop because they didn't do it right the first time, and personal plans, all have caused me to not get this done.

I'm starting to wonder if I got bad gas because my brother dynoed off the same gas and put down 100 less than his original run. Maybe it had less ethanol? or more ethanol. Maybe it was the hot weather that caused it... IDK yet, still more testing to do.

In anyrate, it's too fast for the tires on it. It's a wild car to handle on the streets. I'll be sending in my oil to blackstone to see how healthy she is.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts