Pontiac G8 Forum banner

FINALLY got to the track! WOOT! 12's on the 1st try!

3K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  Dousail2 
#1 · (Edited)
Haven't had the time what with my crazy ass work schedule to get to the track since I bought my G8 and even though the data logging runs on my Cortex showed gains I knew I couldn't trust the times I got. So last night I met up with Travis at Capital Raceway and I got in about 12 runs before it started getting too crowded.
Best time was a 12.7 @111mph worst was a 12.9 @109 I'll post the slips later.

Notable runs were my G8 vs a new 5.0 Mustang, I got him at the light, he caught up at about the 1000' mark and then my G8 just started to slowly pull on him the rest of the way and thru the traps. Very close race but I had him by a fender at the end.

My G8 vs a new M3, it went badly for him the second the lights went green. Had him by about 3 cars.

My G8 vs a 335i with a front mount intercooler, thought I was done when I saw that front mount but much to my surprise he was only a little faster then the M3 and I had him by a car at the end.

My G8 vs a 200? Mustang Cobra, thought SURE I was dead meat but when the light went green I caught him sleeping and he must have had horrible traction problems cause he ran a 13 at 124mph! I beat him but just bearly and he blew past me just past the 1/4 mile mark. LOL!

My G8 vs a 200? Mach 1 with a supercharger, yeah I lost both times we raced BUT he was never more then a car ahead of me at the end! Another I couldn't believe it moment.

Ran other assorted Camaro's and a G37 and a 370Z all lost. Hell the track official kept trying to get people to run me but he said after after they saw me knocking off those other guys none of them wanted any parts of my G8. LMAO! Like it was a bad ass or something.

Then I went to work and got laid off.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! What mods?

#5 ·
Vararam intake, Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, no cats, modded mid pipe, Solo axle backs, tuned by RPM in Del., light weight wheels with 285's out back, I think thats it.

I left my sub box in the trunk and ran with a 1/2 tank of gas cause I wanted to see what it would do as I drive it daily.

#3 ·
you know I saw finally went to the track and your name, and i thought i hope he got into the 12s otherwise this guy does have bad luck LOL. I was thinking you would be running 16s or something haha

#6 ·
Thats AWESOME to hear you beat a new 5.0!!! I bet you were feeling pretty darn great leaving all those people in the dust!! :)

#7 ·
Congrats on the runs, good times. Sounds like you actually had some good luck for once.

Got any videos of the runs? I need to get back to the strip.

Also damn your PB is right with mine lol 12.7 @ 111.

#9 ·
wow went to the track then got laid off.... umm that really stinks, im sorry man. but im jealous. iv been the track plenty of times and still cant break 13.00

#10 ·
#13 ·
I never had a 12 sec pass either pre cam. Closest I ever came was 13.07, cant beleive you manage that low of a time. Than again lapeer dragway doesnt have the best reputation of getting good time slips.

#14 ·
Has A LOT more to do with the DA than anything. The week before my 12.79 the best I could squeeze out of her was 12.99 with my friend driving, he is 100lbs less than I. the DA was 1480. A week later I managed 12.79 with a very low DA of 249, SAME CAR. SAME TRACK etc.

I ran a 13.13@105 at Milan with the DA @ 1,460+ Corrected Time is 12.927@107.61 on October 24th around 7pm or so.

So yeah, if the DA is as low as it was the few times @ Lapeer on my next trip to Milan, I have no doubt in my mind that my car will perform the EXACT SAME. Every time I've been to Milan the DA is High, the first time there is was

Especially when I plug my #'s into the DA converter on Drag Times and that are right on point with my time when the DA is closer to Zero.

#15 ·
Sounds like fun! Except that laid off part...

#16 ·
Capital Raceway is damn near at sea level so it has a REAL GOOD DA. Hell for that matter all the tracks here in MD do, we have some of the fastest G8's in the country here because of the great DA.

As for the laid off part I have an interview at Advance Auto this Friday. I figure WTF its better then nothing and its only 10 blocks from my home so a tank of gas will last me a month! LMAO!

#18 ·
Just a Strong Well maintained 6.0l

"Supposedly". Haha. Add my 100shot Wet kit this weekend. We shall see what it does then. A higher stall and some skinnies are next on the list.

#20 ·
Cortex tune, and nitrous.. Won't be well maintained for long.

#19 ·
I notice Almost everyone compares "Their E/T" to a "Corrected E/T" when showing what would happen "IF" they were closer to zero as far as the DA goes. It's always a Better E/T.

Why is it so hard to believe my E/Ts? One was 249, one was Negative 162 etc. I just happened to go to the track during near Perfect weather conditions. Oh well, I have my Time Slips/Photos/Video and I know I only have an Intake and Tuner for performance mods.

#23 ·
Using shorter 27" drag radials and having 3.45's swapped will help big time! As for these cars coming with different heads from the factory I'd have to see that to believe it, this ain't the 60's where the assembly line would run out of a part and substitute a different better part.

#28 ·
They are all L92 heads with standard valves. Maybe if you had as many G8 cylinder heads on a flow bench as i have you would understand. There can be 8-10 cfm from .300-.500" difference between heads. This may not be the 60's but they sure aren't cnc'd heads from the factory either. There is more consistency between intakes then cylinder heads.

#24 ·
Remember this fellas,

12.79 on the short 17" 275/45/17 Drag Radials - DA was 249
12.90 on the Taller and stock 22" 245/30/22 Hankook V4 tires. DA was -160+

Trap speeds were almost the same.

#38 ·
THanks I should have read that thread before I posted. the 823 was supposed to be used for the LS3/L99 engines, but some of them got in the G8s. If I remember correctly THanks SRG963

#37 ·
The G8 heads was more of D shape, and the camaro heads are more of a oblonged oval shape.

I will ask there were 2 castings, and was used for hte L99 and LS3 and the one we have was used for the L76 but some got the LS3/L99 heads.

#42 ·
I think the 0821 heads are on the 09.5 and the later 9.1. I think it was a discussion back when GM was going bankrupt that they decided to just use one type of heads and dropped the other one, I don't think that helped them though LOL

#44 ·
Yeah after looking through threads the later 09`s got the 0821 heads and ls3 intake.

#45 ·
So how do the 0821 differ from the other 2? Do they have the lighter valves?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.