Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed ARH LT headers and cats last summer and just couldn't get the right sound.

Magnaflow Axleback, too much drone....

GXP Stock Axleback, too raspy & loud....

GT Stock Axleback,too quiet at idle......

SLP Powerflo Axleback are perfect..........and didn't notice any drone at all.

Certainly spent too much money learning this lesson. LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Can you make a sound clip or video of your setup? I was planning to go with Magnaflows and J pipes but this might be another option.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get a video up in the next couple of days.

This was the right muffler for the fact that I'm running headers and no resonators to kill drone. The mufflers had to do the job of drone killing and these did The tips look awesome too.

·
Capital City G8 Member
288 Posts
Congrats.. I have the Corsa with Kooks mids and it sounds perfect.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Good to hear . Sometimes its three times the charm ,other times its a little more lol.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
There is a HUGE wealth of exhaust knowledge on this board. Best to do your research before purchasing something you may not be happy with. From my research it's very common that the magnaflows drone as well as Borla. SOLO is a much better choice. Seems most folks are happiest with SOLO, Corsa and SLP.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Would you guys say that axle backs are as good as cats.? I'm to understand there is no horse powe gain unless you go with a full exhaust. Or is it mild gains as you move forward or is it mainly about sound ? I kinda remember someone posting ,to do exhaust mod. Front to back ,that's the best way. That he started his exhaust modding back to front and regretted it . Any truth to that ? Just wondering , thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Would you guys say that axle backs are as good as cats.? I'm to understand there is no horse powe gain unless you go with a full exhaust. Or is it mild gains as you move forward or is it mainly about sound ? I kinda remember someone posting ,to do exhaust mod. Front to back ,that's the best way. That he started his exhaust modding back to front and regretted it . Any truth to that ? Just wondering , thanks
Depends on what you want and how much power you plan to add. Personally I wanted sound first so I started back to front. Doing that can make it more complicated when starting to add more power/airflow with headers and cats. If you want power first, go with headers. On stock GT axle backs, it will still be quiet though.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Thanks for the info . I got my home work to do . Lol. Search is gonna be a good friend .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts