Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As discussed previously before on this forum ...

You know, eight is an interesting number.

It’s the first positive number in sequence that is divisible by three other numbers: 1,2 and 4. It’s two-cubed, or 2x2x2. Lay it on its side and it’s the symbol for infinity. In some Eastern cultures, 8 is considered a lucky number.

Throw a “G” in front of it and it’s a kick-butt performance sedan…and that brings us to our topic for today.

We’re only a few months away from G8s cruising the highways and by-ways of North America and we thought it’d be kinda cool to do something special for those intrepid souls who are already in line at their local Pontiac dealers.

So, we’ve created a limited-edition of 888 of the first G8s celebrate the launch of Pontiac’s new flagship. These vehicles will have a unique Vehicle Identification Number sequence (001 through 888) and will also feature a special integrated IP logo that designates the lucky owner as having one of the First 888.

The First 888

The First 888 will be among the first cars shipped to dealers early next year, so they should be among the first cars on the road.

Now, we’ll be honest with you. Not every Pontiac dealer is going to have a First 888 G8. With well over 2,000 dealerships, the numbers just don’t work. But, for those dealers who are eligible, they will know their individual quantities by the end of the month or sooner.

So, if you don’t already have your local Pontiac dealership on speed-dial, this is a good time to start programming. Eight just might be your lucky number.

Attachments

·
Alexander Haig
1,858 Posts
Actually every eligible dealer (estimated to be about 700 only) should know today if they are getting one or more of teh 888. Alll other dealers and these as well can know on Wednesday Nov 21 what their entire 2008 model year allocation is. My dealer actually anticipates zero G8's, yes I said 0. They have struggled with the Grand Prix this past year and still are seemingly stuck with a final run GTO.

·
Son of a Dealer
200 Posts
No G8's for my dealer will mean no G8 for me. I can't beat the deal he gives me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
spoke with my dealer today over the phone he said they should be in by the 1st of the year...He also took my name and number and said he would call a few weeks before getting them in...

Lets just see if he keeps his word!!

·
Flying at low altitude
911 Posts
spoke with my dealer today over the phone he said they should be in by the 1st of the year...He also took my name and number and said he would call a few weeks before getting them in...

Lets just see if he keeps his word!!
I wouldn't count on the call, with only 30,00 cars per year, and 2200 dealers or so, thats an aproximate average of 14 cars (some dealers more, some less) per year per dealer (ie 1 a month). :judge:

Also, based on everything else indicated, the first of the year isn't acurate either, maybe late Feb, to mid-March is more like it.

·
Cynical A$$hole
2,353 Posts
I decided a long time ago that if I get one, then I will order it just like I did with my GTO, unless there's one sitting on a dealer lot exactly like I want. I'll just be excited to see some on dealer lots and hopefully get to test drive one, even if it is a V6.

·
06 M6 SRM GTO owner
17 Posts
I'll be test driving one to compare to the Goat alright, but I just can't really fathom going down in performance - even if it can fit more rubber which would be nice.

And so the first 888 are going to have a number. Nothing other than a number? Kinda lame if you ask me

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't count on the call, with only 30,00 cars per year, and 2200 dealers or so, thats an aproximate average of 14 cars (some dealers more, some less) per year per dealer (ie 1 a month). :judge:

Also, based on everything else indicated, the first of the year isn't acurate either, maybe late Feb, to mid-March is more like it.
Thanks for bursting my bubble:whine:

·
Mmmm... perfect!
208 Posts
It would be nice to have one of the first, but.. I want a manual. That's non-negotiable as I've dealt with slushboxes for far too long! When the first M6 vehicles start coming ashore, I might start looking to buy one.

·
Son of a Dealer
200 Posts

You won't see them until end of March, possibly later depending on Geographic Location.

·
Banned
858 Posts
Yesterday i called up my local Pontiac dealer they told me they will start taking orders in January 2008 and they should have prices by then. So i am hoping to get mine by early March.

·
Cynical A$$hole
2,353 Posts
And so the first 888 are going to have a number. Nothing other than a number? Kinda lame if you ask me
I think Pontiac did the same thing with the Solstice. Just a way for dealers to introduce the car and an attempt to justify them placing a huge "Market Adjustment Value" on it.

"This is one of the first ones ever built. It will be worth more in 40 years!"

·
Registered
184 Posts
I love the look of the car and it has great reviews, but I would like to drive one before I place an order. Maybe it's just me but I hate to order one and then not like the way it looks or handles once I receive it. 30K is enough money that I want to make sure I like what I am buying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They have pricing now, it is on edmunds.com, also they are placing their first orders on 11/21 fyi.
How does ordering work?

Sorry if its a newbie question but thats exactly what i am...This is going to hopefully be my first car purchase if the timing works out...

Is the ordering a contact to buying the vehicle or can i change my mind...any negotiations as far as monthly payments or anything?
And where can you place the orders?

·
Registered
301 Posts
How does ordering work?

Sorry if its a newbie question but thats exactly what i am...This is going to hopefully be my first car purchase if the timing works out...

Is the ordering a contact to buying the vehicle or can i change my mind...any negotiations as far as monthly payments or anything?
And where can you place the orders?
You can't special order one. Here's what GM Dealer Assistance told my fleet manager:

When I attempted to place your order into the system it rejected. When I contacted my GM Dealer Assistance contact I was informed that GM does not intend to have the US dealers place specific orders for this model as we do with domestically produced vehicles. Instead GM will determine the build specifications then produce vehicles for the US market and ship the vehicles to a US port for distribution. The US dealers will then draw from this pool of assembled vehicles. This is similar to how the Pontiac GTO distribution was handled when that model was in production.

Initial production is currently scheduled to take place in the first quarter of 2008 so we may not see product on the ground at dealer sites until sometime in the Spring.

I am not sure how this will affect our ability to acquire a vehicle that exactly matches your preferences. On that basis I am reluctant to accept your order and deposit until I know that the prices are static and that I can actually match the specifications for the vehicle you want out of the product that is made available to us.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts