Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pontiac Fanatic
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I picked up my new G8 GT from the dealer this past friday. I noticed since driving it off the lot that it had a faint noise from the front end while going straight and more pronounced when turning at speed. It sounded like a flatspotted tire or something being out of balance.

I was in a rush (getting ready for my wedding the next day :)) so I was hoping the tires were just sitting for a long time and it would wear in with some miles on it. Well 300 miles so far and no change, so I just took it to my dealer first thing in the morning and they took care of it. Turned out that the front left wheel was out of balance for some reason by 1 ounce. They were surprised 1 ounce made that much of a difference but I guess on a 19" wheel that would make sense.

All is well now and I'm a happy camper.

-Brian

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
As some of you may know, I picked up my new G8 GT from the dealer this past friday. I noticed since driving it off the lot that it had a faint noise from the front end while going straight and more pronounced when turning at speed. It sounded like a flatspotted tire or something being out of balance.

I was in a rush (getting ready for my wedding the next day :)) so I was hoping the tires were just sitting for a long time and it would wear in with some miles on it. Well 300 miles so far and no change, so I just took it to my dealer first thing in the morning and they took care of it. Turned out that the front left wheel was out of balance for some reason by 1 ounce. They were surprised 1 ounce made that much of a difference but I guess on a 19" wheel that would make sense.

All is well now and I'm a happy camper.

-Brian
It's the low pro tire that makes the difference. Less give in the sidewalls. I've had to make them balance with the caps on to ensure everything was perfect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
YUP I picked up MY Red G8GT yesterday and all was fine til I hit the highway.. Then .. TERMINAL WHEEL SHAKE! I'm going in at 7:30 this morning to get the tires balanced and see if that's what the problem is.. (I suspect this IS the problem). I'll let you all know if there's anything more sinister.. LOL.. Other than that lil problem.. It's a GREAT car...

·
Pontiac Fanatic
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I'm happy/unhappy that this issue has at least happened to others. The car has been fine so far but I guess we will see what these NJ roads do to these wheels. I'm always careful about driving around bumps and potholes but some are just unavoidable. I've changed my commute to work since getting the car to avoid some really bad areas.

-Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
WELL as I suspected it was the wheel balance.. and the left front was off on mine too.. by 4 ozs.. Weird that it was the same tire as Blackbirdws6's but.. all if fine now.. Can't wait til I can romp on this thing.. AND YES ..NJ ROADS are the WORST..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
BruceJames
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing