Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched around .
I own a 2008 G8 GT.
Wondering what everyone did for there first set of mods or must do mods as soon as you get it.

Next year I'll be buying the brembo brake kits from ZZP

I use to own a mustang [ actually still do till I sell it next year]

SO I'll have some money to do some stuff

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
C.a.i. , exhaust , tune. I always assumed that's universal in the sports car world lol. Happy modding!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm in a similar boat, starting out with mods. My first was a Roto-Fab intake. Next, was Solo axle-backs to quickly give it sound, stock was annoyingly quiet. The best, quick thing I did was to get a Cortex tuner. For around $200 for a used one, it's well worth it. And assuming you get a cam, headers, etc (which will require more tuning than a Cortex can do), you can get your money back out of the Cortex when you're done with it.

I'm starting to compile my list and pick parts for DOD-delete and cam. BTR is probably the direction I'll go.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My first mod was a cai. I have a VCM, It's a little more money than most, but it is worth it I my opinion. I got it with the side panels and it looks really nice and does a great job in performance!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went with a Spectre C.A.I. as my first mod (so far) as it is easy to do in about an hour. You don't have to have crazy mechanical skills to do it or lots of tools. It's one of the least expensive and easily reversible mods to do. Looks cool as all get out and sounds good under throttle.
Start out with small steps and build as your budget allows.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Searched around .
I own a 2008 G8 GT.
Wondering what everyone did for there first set of mods or must do mods as soon as you get it.

Next year I'll be buying the brembo brake kits from ZZP

I use to own a mustang [ actually still do till I sell it next year]

SO I'll have some money to do some stuff
Brembo's are a great upgrade, just keep in mind they won't fit under the stock wheels.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have the brembo brake kit from ZZP on my G8 GXP a little priceyer than piecing it together but it was worth it to me for the turn key factor. I cant speak to G8 GT rim fitment

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I started out with CAI, headers, HFC's & tune then went with fe3's shocks & struts, rear cradle inserts & Moog end links. Next mod was LL cam DOD with all the supporting hardware & re tune. I put solo axle backs next as I won these at Lakeview.Next will be rotors & pads which I might be putting on next year.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Save you money on all the little stuff. It's much better to start with a real CAI, aka LSA. Then you will get the right mods afterwords to support. None of the small talk stuff. Been there, done that, never again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First Question you need to ask yourself is how much money are you willing to spend. Are you thinking 1-2k, or 8-9k. And what do you want out of it, do you not like the wheels on it, do you want to lower it, does it need tires. Alot of those things add up in a hurry. Also are you doing the work yourself, or paying a shop. I spent over $7000 on a cam(no DOD delete for my LS3), headers, intake, exhaust, stall converter, tune, and wheels and tires. But i also did all the work myself, and hit the black friday sales pretty good.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I did a roto-fab CAI, then a botched DOD delete after the original DOD lifters failed after the warranty ran out. Then I dropped 9k into a crate LS3 when the original motor failed from the bad DOD delete. Now I'm moving to California so I have to get rid of the roto-fab and buy yet another tune.

The point being that even trying to do conservative mods can be expensive. I'm driving a G8 GT with an LS3 for right around what it would have cost to just buy a GXP to begin with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed! I?m newer to the g8 world and it all depends on goals. I personally did VCM, exhaust and will get a proper tune in the spring when I get it back out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts