Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up an 09 G8 GT last week, with the standard used car treatment: 50k worth of swirls, rock chips, and scratches. This is what I was looking after first wash and clay:

Since I also discovered a ton of random scratches deep enough for sanding to be required, in addition to proper rock chip repair, I decided not to bother with compounding for now. This is what I achieved with M205/white pad:

Medium and light swirls were removed and a brilliant shine returned. I had read about how thin and soft this paint is, and I have worked with M205/white pad plenty, but the level of correction from it alone on a DA surprised me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
^ Looks great! ^

M205 on a MF polishing pad knocked my socks off. I've used the M105/M205 combo for years and love it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Looks great! ^

M205 on a MF polishing pad knocked my socks off. I've used the M105/M205 combo for years and love it.

I was hoping someone would know what I meant. I use the same combo, but on hex-logic pads instead of MF. Didn't want to cut too much, knowing I'll be using the rotary on it soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've found M205 works very well also. That being said, I've found Optimum Hyper Polish w/white Lake Country pad to be a bit better in terms of finish. The opposite is true on my Camaro; M205 with a black finishing pad cuts better and finished better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found M205 works very well also. That being said, I've found Optimum Hyper Polish w/white Lake Country pad to be a bit better in terms of finish. The opposite is true on my Camaro; M205 with a black finishing pad cuts better and finished better.

I have only had a few that I could achieve a great level of correction with, using M205 alone. Everything has usually lived a rough life before someone brings it to me. Based on an experiment I saw posted a while back, I was thinking that there was little to no cut in Optimum Hyper Polish. I have thought about experimenting myself with some different products, having stuck with M105/M205 mostly because it is the only combo available locally. There is, quite literally, only one place I have found that even sells buffer pads, and those are solely 8".

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn't say the Hyper Polish has more cut than M205, but for my WH G8 it finished down marginally better. Truth be told, the main reason I used Hyper Polish was because I had read about the polishing oils in M205 not allowing good LSP adherence. I Opti-Sealed the car, so I figured if I didn't get all the polishing oils from the Hyper Polish completely off, it wouldn't interfere as much.

I do like the M105/M205 combo for areas needing more correction. Not much that combo won't handle with a selection of different pad types. I also like that Advance Auto stocks M105 and M205 locally, so that is certainly a plus. The other supplies I typically order from Autogeek.

Your paint definitely looks better after polishing btw.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't say the Hyper Polish has more cut than M205, but for my WH G8 it finished down marginally better. Truth be told, the main reason I used Hyper Polish was because I had read about the polishing oils in M205 not allowing good LSP adherence. I Opti-Sealed the car, so I figured if I didn't get all the polishing oils from the Hyper Polish completely off, it wouldn't interfere as much.

I do like the M105/M205 combo for areas needing more correction. Not much that combo won't handle with a selection of different pad types. I also like that Advance Auto stocks M105 and M205 locally, so that is certainly a plus. The other supplies I typically order from Autogeek.

Your paint definitely looks better after polishing btw.

Thank you, there will be more pics after I'm finished with the rotary on it.

I started with a DA and the usual array of consumer products, but was not getting where I wanted to be on my 07 G35. I saw the M105/M205 combo in AutoZone, did some research and picked it up. Got word of mouth customers from the results of using them, and everyone has been happy, so I have not really bothered to branch out and try Hyper Polish or some Menzerna products. Hyper Polish has me intrigued though, as most seem to think it brings out metallic finishes better. I think I will be experimenting with it on a 135i and Z06 that I have coming up. The M205 brought out more of the black than the metallic in that 135i before. Customer (friend) was still very pleased with it, but I wanted to see more of that metallic. I am going to use that Z06 to get my hands on a local body shop owner's SLR McLaren and Ferrari 458 Italia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.