Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,fabs here. got some questions. I will be selling my car in the next few months. I was looking at the next car choice. I would love a big B body again, but my better half would kill me! anywho. I was looking at caddy's (sts) and as nice as it seems, i find the G8 looks way better and is also a bit more of a rarity. I love the G8 look. What i'm not sure about is engine choice. The V8 is cool but hard to come by and are usually wayyy more expensive, so i think the V6 is the only option. How is this engine? is it really the same as the caddy 3.6? is it reliable? easy to work on or nightmare? i've seen videos for the caddy on changing spark plugs, MY GOD! it takes more time to take off the top manifold than the plugs themselves. Is this the same here?
are parts hard to come by?

also, how do these cars do in snow? We get quite a bit of snow here (canada) and although my beloved '96 caprice (police pack) did great in snow with winters on, i don't know how these g8's do?
any info would be great! thanks
fab

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
also, how do these cars do in snow? We get quite a bit of snow here (canada) and although my beloved '96 caprice (police pack) did great in snow with winters on, i don't know how these g8's do?
any info would be great! thanks
fab
I throw on the Michelin Ice and Snows and it outperforms most front wheel drive cars in the snow. Really nice traction control not like my 2001 Trans Am which was lost when it came to traction in snow. Can't answer any of your V6 questions, sorry.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Take it from me the V6 is alot of fun and easy to work on.
I can answer your V6 questions.
Just ask.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Sounds like your going thru the same decision making process I went thru looking for a G8.
I got the V6 and don't feel I settled, and as you say GT's were at a premium. One day I may grab a V8 but I like this V6 too much.
Yes spark plugs are a pain, in my case that's what GM dealers are for but there are tons of info and knowledge on this board to help you thru problems. Les, who posted above, can take the plenum off on his sleep.
Weak link in the V6 can be the timing chain however only a few cars have had problems the majority will not. The weak link in the GT 6.0L's are the lifters, again luck of the draw. The 6.2L in the GXP's are pretty much bullet proof if you can find one in Canada.
I have never had a problem getting parts either thru GM dealers, Cdn Tire, Parts Source, Rock Auto or other vendors on this board.
Mines a year round DD, I have a set of Blizzak's on steelies and have never had a problem with driving in snow though in the GTA although highways are a parking lot anyway when it snows.
Good luck finding your G8, let us know what you find....where are you located?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bas, thanks for the info. I did communicate with Les who was also helpful and quite informative. I live in Montreal. Not sure if there are other mtl members on the forum?
Winter tires are mandatory here, so winters are a must.
How does your car do in snow?
Fabs

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Hello and welcome from wny! I'm in Buffalo and winters here can be bad. People tend to go with blizzaks here.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Many of your questions can be answered using the search function and welcome to the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts