Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a salvaged G8 that hasn't been started in 4 years. I'm draining/replacing all the fluids but should I also pre oil the engine? Is there a standard way to do it? It turns over by hand just fine but everything must be pretty dry in there

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would disconnect the spark coils and just crank it a few times to get the oild circulating a bit before firing it up for real.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Pull the fuel injection fuse and put a little oil in each cylinder and crank it for a few secs. That will build the oil pressure up. And lube the piston rings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The biggest problem is gong to be that the ethanol has separated out of the fuel. The pump could very well be toast. And I wouldn't start the engine with that crap in there.

I would disconnect the supply fuel line and hose it into a container. Then I would find the fuel pump relay and jump it so the tank pumps itself into the container (if the pump still works of course). Then fill with new gas before trying to start.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!
Makes sense to me. I haven't given it a try just yet. I need a rad and it looks like the tranny cooler lines were not very well capped so I'll prolly drain that too.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I would pull the rotors and knock the rust off with a sanding disk. That way you have the best chance of some braking action when you first drive it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Any updates on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drained about a liter of oil out, just to make sure there was no water down there, since I don't know much about the history of the car. That looked fine so I topped up the oil and cranked a few times with the coils unplugged.
She sparked right up with everything plugged back in :-D but I probably will drain the fuel before running it again.
The running gear and unibody is gonna end up under a 1950 Pontiac this spring so I should start a un-Build thread here sometime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts