Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - first post!

I bought my MGM G8 GT July 29th of last year and didn't really get to enjoy summer cruising. After a relatively mild winter here in MA, I've started preparing accordingly.

This past week I managed to install my Rotofab CAI. I ended up using a roadside assistance tool kit which made things about as difficult as you'd imagine. After borrowing a torx bit from my landlord I was able to get everything out and in.

intake..jpg

Yesterday I received shipping details for my Borla Cat-Back Exhaust. It should arrive by tomorrow and I am very excited. I'm pleased to say I will not be using a roadside assistance toolkit for the install as a colleague from work has offered to help out.

The "final" step will be a tune. Without a dyno locally I originally considered using one of several tuner experts detailed on the forum. More recently I've considered a hand held tuner because of how common my mods are. I'm open to advice!

g8..jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum. You'll be fine with a superchips tune (Cortex tuner 2950 or flashpaq works also). A custom tune from a reputable tuner will be better, but the difference is not worth the extra money with your mods IMO.
I switched from a superchips tune to Pat G since I needed a custom tune to accommodate the headers I installed. You'll like the superchips tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd invest in a set of tools before anything else. You can get a pretty large set from Harbor Freight to get you started for like $40.
I totally agree - I had a leased VW Passat before the G8 so I didn't have much of a need. I'll check out Harbor Freight. Ideally I'd also buy a home with a garage...but baby steps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum. You'll be fine with a superchips tune (Cortex tuner 2950 or flashpaq works also). A custom tune from a reputable tuner will be better, but the difference is not worth the extra money with your mods IMO.
I switched from a superchips tune to Pat G since I needed a custom tune to accommodate the headers I installed. You'll like the superchips tune.
Thanks for the advice, super chips seems easy enough. The tuner will probably round out my Spring preparations for this year - my girlfriend is beginning to question my decision making :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my G8 GT a few weeks ago. I'm in RI. I wonder if there are gatherings in the area? I haven't started to dig in yet but will be working on it all summer. It will never be fast enough

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just got my G8 GT a few weeks ago. I'm in RI. I wonder if there are gatherings in the area? I haven't started to dig in yet but will be working on it all summer. It will never be fast enough

Welcome. I'm in Hopkinton. There's a meet of all kinds just off Exit 1 on 95 at the Pavilion restaurant nearly every weekend in the summer.

There is occasionally a meet in CT but I've never made it. Otherwise, pretty quiet here in RI.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Enthusiast
960 Posts
Hi guys. I'm in northern RI. Gillette stadium has a car show this Thursday. If you have never been, it's worth checking out. It usually runs every other Thursday and Can be 1500+ cars big. Occasionally there's a G8 or 2. I met a guy who said to join the northeast G8 owners Facebook page. He said sometimes they have a get together posted there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
pic18
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing