Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - first post!

I bought my MGM G8 GT July 29th of last year and didn't really get to enjoy summer cruising. After a relatively mild winter here in MA, I've started preparing accordingly.

This past week I managed to install my Rotofab CAI. I ended up using a roadside assistance tool kit which made things about as difficult as you'd imagine. After borrowing a torx bit from my landlord I was able to get everything out and in.

intake..jpg

Yesterday I received shipping details for my Borla Cat-Back Exhaust. It should arrive by tomorrow and I am very excited. I'm pleased to say I will not be using a roadside assistance toolkit for the install as a colleague from work has offered to help out.

The "final" step will be a tune. Without a dyno locally I originally considered using one of several tuner experts detailed on the forum. More recently I've considered a hand held tuner because of how common my mods are. I'm open to advice!

g8..jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum. You'll be fine with a superchips tune (Cortex tuner 2950 or flashpaq works also). A custom tune from a reputable tuner will be better, but the difference is not worth the extra money with your mods IMO.
I switched from a superchips tune to Pat G since I needed a custom tune to accommodate the headers I installed. You'll like the superchips tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd invest in a set of tools before anything else. You can get a pretty large set from Harbor Freight to get you started for like $40.
I totally agree - I had a leased VW Passat before the G8 so I didn't have much of a need. I'll check out Harbor Freight. Ideally I'd also buy a home with a garage...but baby steps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum. You'll be fine with a superchips tune (Cortex tuner 2950 or flashpaq works also). A custom tune from a reputable tuner will be better, but the difference is not worth the extra money with your mods IMO.
I switched from a superchips tune to Pat G since I needed a custom tune to accommodate the headers I installed. You'll like the superchips tune.
Thanks for the advice, super chips seems easy enough. The tuner will probably round out my Spring preparations for this year - my girlfriend is beginning to question my decision making :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my G8 GT a few weeks ago. I'm in RI. I wonder if there are gatherings in the area? I haven't started to dig in yet but will be working on it all summer. It will never be fast enough

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just got my G8 GT a few weeks ago. I'm in RI. I wonder if there are gatherings in the area? I haven't started to dig in yet but will be working on it all summer. It will never be fast enough

Welcome. I'm in Hopkinton. There's a meet of all kinds just off Exit 1 on 95 at the Pavilion restaurant nearly every weekend in the summer.

There is occasionally a meet in CT but I've never made it. Otherwise, pretty quiet here in RI.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Enthusiast
960 Posts
Hi guys. I'm in northern RI. Gillette stadium has a car show this Thursday. If you have never been, it's worth checking out. It usually runs every other Thursday and Can be 1500+ cars big. Occasionally there's a G8 or 2. I met a guy who said to join the northeast G8 owners Facebook page. He said sometimes they have a get together posted there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts