Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I have read over and over about the 3rd hang up and NOW understand the frustration of other "track rats".

It was worse running in manual mode, tried Sport and gained another MPH but still had a 3rd gear hang up.

All runs were on street tires and with a 20 mph headwind. 12s are there, but battling bad wheel hop and 3rd gear.

Worst run: [email protected]
Best run: [email protected]
DA corrected: [email protected]

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You should be able to hit 12.7-12.8 easy with your mods. The 3rd gear hang up sucks. I don't want to do a 4th gear burnout just to get around it. I'm not a drag racer though so doesn't really bother me. Never happens on the street or road course.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried to get into 4th but seemed to bog down after 2nd. Maybe i didn't rev it high enough for longer?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That's whats always confused me when people say get to forth while doing the burnout.. Or just try and get it to it while rolling forward? That and I don't like that idea of shifting while mid burnout. Mine would do the same shift and bog, it would lose its momentum or something during the shift and couldn't get them to light back up.

Was this at Topeka? If so how was the track prep?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
678 Posts
My technique is to leave it in Drive and Stand on the pedal. I let the car do the rest. None of that holding in 3rd stuff. Tried it several times, got a higher trap speed and lower et.

I've made about 75+ passes at the track within the past year. Just my experience with my set up. Cortex at 50%

·
Registered
678 Posts
With my very minimal mods/power adders etc. and my E/T & mph being considered.

Why would you want to hold 3rd? My times are lower with higher mph letting it go into 4th. Basically it's proven to benefit the E/T and mph by letting the car shift as it wants to, why try and alter that?

I even changed shift points, manually held 3rd etc. All of which resulted in a worse E/T and lower Mph.

My opinion is that this theory is wrong. Just my opinion.

Looking at other G8s at the track who have what I have done with the addition to Headers and a Dyno tune etc and the times posted here on this board, I really think some people would be surprised on the times their car CAN do with a different driver.

Just an opinion. Thoughts?

Mind you, my mods are Cortex/Roto-Fab/Pypes Violators axle backs. That is all. On Drag Radials w/17" wheels and with 22s on street tires I managed a 12.90 or better.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Also, Why don't I experience any wheel hop?

Our cars are the same, right?

If the tires break loose, they spin. But that's all, they spin. No hop whatsoever.

Where is the "Wheel Hop" coming from???

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
With my very minimal mods/power adders etc. and my E/T & mph being considered.

Why would you want to hold 3rd? My times are lower with higher mph letting it go into 4th. Basically it's proven to benefit the E/T and mph by letting the car shift as it wants to, why try and alter that?

I even changed shift points, manually held 3rd etc. All of which resulted in a worse E/T and lower Mph.

My opinion is that this theory is wrong. Just my opinion.

Looking at other G8s at the track who have what I have done with the addition to Headers and a Dyno tune etc and the times posted here on this board, I really think some people would be surprised on the times their car CAN do with a different driver.

Just an opinion. Thoughts?

Mind you, my mods are Cortex/Roto-Fab/Pypes Violators axle backs. That is all. On Drag Radials w/17" wheels and with 22s on street tires I managed a 12.90 or better.
You dont want it to hang 3rd...Thats what this thread is about, not hanging in 3rd and letting the car get into 4th before the end of the track. its best for mph and ET

Im trying to figure out what theory you are saying is wrong

·
Registered
678 Posts
OK, I thought it was just the opposite. I thought people are trying to keep it "IN 3rd Gear"

My mistake. I was thinking, WHY?

Mine definitely shifts into 4th just before the 1/4 mile. Thanks for filling me in Troy.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do guys.

I also contacted Pat and going to datalog my problem and he's sure he can fix the problem. So either way, I'll be cured.

Any reason WHY this does this?

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
For me, I ran sport mode, burned out thru 1,2,3,4: put it back into sport and manually shifted before I crossed the 1/4 mile mark and got a higher trap but crossed the line in 13.4 sec. When I left it in 3rd, I crossed the line with a lower mph at 13.3 1/4. With my tune and intake, I need to just keep it in 3rd gear and wind it out. I replayed one of my vids from inside the car and the engine revs were high but not near the limiter so there's no need for me to shift into forth until I trap higher than 107mph.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
there's no need for me to shift into forth until I trap higher than 107mph.
this.
Somewhere aroung 110 seems to be the break even point with stock tires. With my DRs, 104 is max speed at 6500 RPM, so I'm in 4th for a while.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The Cortex tuner Trans tune must be what's helping me.

On my short 275/40/17 Drag Radials I trap @ 108+ up to 111mph and I'm in 4th gear.

On my Tall 245/30/22 Hankook street tires I trap @ 108+ up to 110 and I'm also in 4th gear.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
The Cortex tuner Trans tune must be what's helping me.

On my short 275/40/17 Drag Radials I trap @ 108+ up to 111mph and I'm in 4th gear.

On my Tall 245/30/22 Hankook street tires I trap @ 108+ up to 110 and I'm also in 4th gear.
have you tried locking 3rd on the stock tires?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts