Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a G8 GT/GXP all in Flat Black? I saw a 300 SRT8 in NYC last year in all Flat Black and it looked pretty sweet...thinking about it for the long term plans of the car...heads/cam/reworked motor, flat black paint, etc.

I figure since I already have black, it wouldn't be as hard or as extensive to go that route (like having to redo the engine bay, inside door jams, etc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not a fan of flat black, to me it always reminded me of those guys that would never finish Their paint jobs on their project cars.

Having said that, I saw a Matte Grey CTS-V and it looked absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Older cars, sure...I can see that and have often thought the same thing. But on newer cars, not so much.

I like the Grey Vinyl wraps, but I think I might go more permanent. With a good vinyl job costing upwards of $3-4k and not holding up to the environment as well as paint, I think I can get a flat black paint job for not much more, although permanent.

I won't do it until next year though. I want to go through the motor this winter after getting a DD and take it from there. Car is getting long in the tooth and will need a repaint regardless, pushing 112k miles. But I plan to keep the car long term so it might be worth the investment.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think it can be pulled off. Rat Rods have ruined the flat black for me. I think what your wanting to do, it will actually look really good and will be unique. It will get a lot of attention that's for sure. I don't have the guys to try something like that. Kudos to you for stepping outside the box!

Older cars, sure...I can see that and have often thought the same thing. But on newer cars, not so much.

I like the Grey Vinyl wraps, but I think I might go more permanent. With a good vinyl job costing upwards of $3-4k and not holding up to the environment as well as paint, I think I can get a flat black paint job for not much more, although permanent.

I won't do it until next year though. I want to go through the motor this winter after getting a DD and take it from there. Car is getting long in the tooth and will need a repaint regardless, pushing 112k miles. But I plan to keep the car long term so it might be worth the investment.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't give kudos yet...I haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My ex brother in-law painted his truck flat black... said it was a real pain in the ass because a little scuff mark was there for good. Can't really buff it out like you can with a gloss finish.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Looks good on some cars and terrible on others. Whatever you do, don't "plasti dip" the whole car cause that looks like crap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think flat black has been overdone for some time, at least entire cars that color. That's just my $.02 though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.