Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a LS3 from a 2014 camaro SS. The motor was purchased through LKQ. The motor came with a flywheel. Im putting the motor in my G8GT. The question is. Am i able to use the flywheel that came with the used LS3 or do I have to remove my flex plate from the, the blown L76 thats currently in the car?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Big difference between flexplate and flywheel. The LS3... did it come from a manual transmission car? If so, you'll need to remove the flywheel and install either your old flexplate or a new one that fits. Also, I'm not sure it really matters, but you could remove the pilot bearing as well.

You can certainly reuse the old flexplate, but buying a new one would not be a terrible idea.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big difference between flexplate and flywheel. The LS3... did it come from a manual transmission car? If so, you'll need to remove the flywheel and install either your old flexplate or a new one that fits. Also, I'm not sure it really matters, but you could remove the pilot bearing as well.

You can certainly reuse the old flexplate, but buying a new one would not be a terrible idea.
Removing and replacing the pilot bearing. Is this recommended?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Removing and replacing the pilot bearing. Is this recommended?
Only manual transmissions require a pilot bearing. If your engine came from a manual car, and you're mating it to an auto trans, the pilot bearing won't do anything. I'd remove it cuz you wouldn't want it to come out while driving, but they're often a PITA to get out, so odds are low that it would go anywhere.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Since you have it apart, do it once. Use a TCI399757. It's pricey, but worth not having to pull the trans to get to the plate again.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I think I know the one you got. How hard is a direct swap. There's one sensor that needs to be swapped. Oil pressure or water temp sensor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The engine came from a Camaro SS with auto transmission. My g8gt was stock auto transmission as well. So i guess ill just reuse my original flexplate. Thanks man.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The engine came from a Camaro SS with auto transmission. My g8gt was stock auto transmission as well. So i guess ill just reuse my original flexplate. Thanks man.
You should be able to use either one, but yeah, I'd go with the one from your G8 given the choice.

Or better yet, get an aftermarket one. The TCI mentioned is good, or I have a cheaper PRW (from Jegs) in my car. The PRW is still SFI rated.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Cool. Are you going to keep the DOD since the motor is newish? And I assume you're going to do the cam phaser delete?
Asking the real questions. (y)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool. Are you going to keep the DOD since the motor is newish? And I assume you're going to do the cam phaser delete?
As of right now. Im just doing the vvt delete. DOD will have to remain for a couple more months. Have to replinish my funds. And to top that off. I just got laid off, TODAY....
But i wont let that hinder my build..

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Damn man sorry about that. Hope you can get some relief with the Gov't and company severance.

If I do a straight LS3 swap, I'm considering doing the swap myself to save $$

1 - 14 of 14 Posts