Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to black out some parts on the G8, mainly chrome trim around window and front grills. I had some questions about plasti dip. I know it can be peeled off, but does it hold up pretty well to car washes etc? Does the trim need to be scuffed up pretty good first?
Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just clean the area well with an alcohol based cleaner, lint free cloth, let it dry and spray away no scuffing needed.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I cannot tell you if it holds up through car washes, I only hand wash. But no you do not need to scuff up anything before you spray. Just make sure the area is clean and contaminate free.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Good info on dipyourcar dot com. If the dip is done right, car wash is no problem. The secret is good prep!

·
Registered
13 Posts
What GX said. I haven't had any issues with car wash. I have my rims and grill plasti dipped for about 3 months still looks new

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
no problems with washings as said above. However, I'd pass on doing the door trims. Paint is the best option on that location. The cleaning prep is the same method and the paint is only 6 bucks/can. Might as well do it right and do it once.

·
Registered
864 Posts
+1^

·
Registered
225 Posts
It won't be permanent it will eventually come off

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have plasti dipped all my chrome pieces and it has held up all winter and through car washes tho I mainly hand wash my car. Its great to be able to go from blacked out to chromed I. A few min.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts