Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Fans of rear-drive domestic performance sedans suffered a blow when General Motors decided to close the Pontiac brand and cease importing the rebadged Holden Commodore as the G8. While rumors continue to suggest GM will bring back a rear-drive Australian-sourced performance machine, they may have to act fast as a recent report suggests Ford may look to imitate the Holden/Pontiac strategy.

According to one Australian outlet, the Blue Oval may look ‘down under’ to its Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) division in order to source a version of the rear-drive Falcon GT – complete with a new supercharged 5.0-liter V8 that makes 449-hp and 420 ft-lbs of torque.

FPV is eager to expand its offerings and former Ford Australian president Bill Osborne already admitted a plan was underway to export the cars to China and the Middle East. For Ford of Australia the rewards could be huge, with Holden’s sale of the Pontiac G8 in the U.S. doubling production of the car globally.

Ford is currently promoting a global vehicle strategy that will not only see mainstream cars like the Fiesta and Focus created to be sold in all markets, but will also focus on utilizing the company’s performance vehicles in regional markets. Ford’s VP of global marketing, Jim Farley, recently commented that the automaker intends to put a focus on rear-drive models for the U.S. market.

Farley recently told AutoGuide that more special ‘regional’ performance vehicles are set to debut in the U.S. in the near future.
Read more Ford FPV Falcon GT Rumored for the U.S. at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
97 Posts
Crikey! Now I gotta look out for these on the road as well?? I'd really consider getting this if it is produced. I loved the old Falcons. Maybe they can bring back the Fairlanes too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Looks like a ford contour

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
This would be good for all of us performance minded folks. I'd love to see a 28K Family sadan with a do it yourself tranny and Mustang GT V8.....ohhhh mama.

BUT, you know what...give me a RWD 6spd Mustang V6 engine family sadan getting 30mpg on the highway for 25K and it would sell like hot cakes.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
GM is going to be late to the party again.

You said it first.

GM - will bring back the commodore based sedan w/ the same AFM engine in our cars or w/ a better engine minus all the nice interior gadgetry - they'll do SOMETHING to miss the mark when/if they do bring it back and I bet it is too late.

Better yet, they'll jump the gun again and bring a chintzy version of the commodore over first while ford bides their time and brings this falcon over w/ all the accommodations of the SHO and then some to blow it out of the water.

Like they did w/ the stang.

·
BMW Killer
731 Posts
Wow that would be awesome. However, Ill pass on the V8 (not that I dont like it) but I would love to have one of these with that nasty turbo inline 6 they currently have! :D

·
G8er since 10/31/08!
188 Posts
Looks like V8 Supercars will have to have an American series!

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
awesome car but there goes our reslave value haha...

But I doubt it will happen. If they were going to do it, they would have brought it over to compete with the chevy Carpice PPV already.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
again GM dilly dallying and late to the dance again.the car reminds me of the 80's SVO mustang'''''''''''''

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Man that is one hot vehicle. I'm not a FORD fan at all, but nice looking car. GM bobbles the ball. GM drops the ball. GM kicks the ball. The ball then rolls down the GM hill. Hence.... BUICK REGAL (enough said)

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Man that is one hot vehicle. I'm not a FORD fan at all, but nice looking car. GM bobbles the ball. GM drops the ball. GM kicks the ball. The ball then rolls down the GM hill. Hence.... BUICK REGAL (enough said)
i'm with ya, only 4 more years to pay would very much consider buying one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Now is the time for GM to get their collective heads out of their posterior orifices and bring back the Commodore rebadged as something Chevy or here's an idea.....

BRING BACK PONTIAC!!! They could create a Pontiac Performance Vehicle (PPV) platform and use the Pontiacs as their top end muscle cars and sports sedans. Start off with the return of the Firebird and G8 as their launch vehicles.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
About this Discussion
161 Replies
92 Participants
natep zxten
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing