Pontiac G8 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
They quarter listen and that's being polite.

·
Registered
707 Posts
"CarAndDriver Article" Lincoln Wants a RWD Sedan

Lincoln Wants 2015 Mustang Components for RWD Sedan, Could Be a Study In Ford’s Brand Discipline

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lincoln-wants-2015-mustang-components-for-rwd-sedan-could-be-a-study-in-fords-brand-discipline/

-This could be a set-up to use the new Mustang platform or send over Falcon componets. If Ford doesn't fix Lincoln's "parrot" like looks and not just rebadging crappy FWD Ovals they will fall along side of Mercury, Olds, Saturn, and non-RWD Pontiacs. I don't understand Ford, they already have done the work and spent the $$ in producing a great platform and engine arrangement - why not use it. Fords idea of a world class platforms is a smart idea, but they need to offer a top of the line RWD. Their higher end division Lincoln is out classed by almost everyone. I would put their sales closer if not less than GM mid-luxury brand Buick, but designs closer to a fail. Everytime I see (if rare) a new Lincoln all I can think is "Polly wants a cracker" with that nose, their grayhaired owners must really be close to being blind. Ford quit being lazy, and stop milking Mustang and marketing "overweight" FWD to AWD sedan a a performace car which is only a couple inches from being issued offroad status.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The latest rumour is that FPV's model line-up will be merged with that of Ford at the end of this year, making the Falcon GT an 'XR8' and the high performance turbo six cylinder models discontinued.
Troutman, it looks like things are moving along much faster than "end of this year"......I wouldn't be surprised if there was an FPV Extinction announcement at the end of the current Aus financial year ie June 30th 2012.

June 1, 2012
Ford's performance arm in crisis after sackings
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/fords-performance-arm-in-crisis-after-sackings-20120601-1zlob.html

June 11, 2012
Ford closing heritage museum
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/ford-closing-heritage-museum-20120611-2054f.html
"Ford’s Discovery Centre museum in Geelong will close at the end of July in the latest blow for Ford Australia.
The centre, which has operated for the past 13 years in a building supplied by Deakin University, receives around 20,000 visitors a year. A 12-month review of the operation aimed to find a way to keep the centre open but failed."

June 13, 2012
Ford mulls job cuts as sales stall
http://www.theage.com.au/business/ford-mulls-job-cuts-as-sales-stall-20120613-209t5.html
"Ford will shut down its Australian car-making operations for a week and consider possible job cuts as sales stall.
The company is facing a 24 per cent slump in year-on-year Falcon sales and a massive $290 million annual loss announced last month.
Ford said it will now have to close the Broadmeadows and Geelong plants in Victoria for seven days in July, coming just three months after 1800 workers were stood down for three days when a key supplier went into administration."

June 14, 2012
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/ford-vows-to-fight-on-after-july-shutdown-20120613-20alt.html
Ford vows to fight on after July shutdown
"During the temporary shutdown, most of the company's 1800 blue-collar workers at the Geelong engine plant and Broadmeadows assembly line will be on half pay, but can top up wages by taking annual leave.
The stoppage comes as Falcon sales continue to nosedive - down 25 per cent on last year's record low.
Falcon sales have been weaker in the past three years than at any other point in the 52-year history of the nameplate, including the debut year of 1960 when the Australian car market was a fraction of the size it is today.
For almost five decades the Falcon had never been outside the three top-selling cars locally, but today it struggles to stay inside the top 20 and is outsold by small cars and utes."

June 28, 2012 - 4:03PM
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/coming-soon-faster-ford-falcon-gt-20120628-214ow.html
"Meanwhile, enthusiast websites are rife with speculation the FPV range is about to be rationalised to a single GT model, dropping the GT-E and GT-P variants from the line-up.
However this is wide of the mark.
Dealers were last week sent a bulletin advising them to bring forward any production orders for GT-E and GT-P models because they will be unavailable while the limited edition GT “Panther” is built in one batch.
Regular production of all GT variants and the turbocharged F6 are expected to resume afterwards.
There is also speculation Ford Australia is about to take control of Ford Performance Vehicles. But this, too, seems premature.
FPV has been 51 per cent owned by British firm Prodrive since 2002, with Ford owning the remaining 49 per cent.
Prodrive’s chief operating officer, Clive Scrivener, was in Australia this week – at the same time as the Asia-Pacific boss of Ford, Joe Hinrichs. However, the parties did not meet.
The takeover conjecture started after three FPV engineers – Bernie Quinn, Paul Cook and Jim Jovonoski – bought an engineering offshoot of Prodrive last month. But that division is not part of FPV.
That said, Ford Australia is believed to be reviewing its relationship with the FPV business.
Although there is wild speculation about a takeover on a number of Ford internet forums, the company says there are no changes or announcements imminent regarding FPV.
Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to make any kind of announcement in relation to FPV in the near future.”"

28-06-2012, 07:31 AM
"The Director of Ford Forums provides the following update....not good...

Prodrive sold its FPV share of the business back to Ford, FPV at Glenbarry road will be finished.
Ford take control July 1st, the Panther will be the last of the built cars at Glenbarry road and there having issues getting all the supplies to finish the limited run of this Panther edition, something along those lines.
Now this where I have 2 versions of the future of the COYOTE and F6.
1. Ford will build the GT, XR8 and F6 at Broadmeadows, the GTE, GTP and GS will be history.
2. The above was supposed to happen but has now been shelved so no more V8's, both my sources believe there info to be correct, we shall have to wait and see what plays out in coming days.

News on the Falcon, 2016 the Falcon will be finished it will be replaced by the Mondeo, the Falcon Ute will be replaced by the Ranger (lol) and the Territory will be replaced by the Explorer.
The talk about a Mustang coming here and being sold through Aussie Ford dealers is also still up in the air."

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11369724

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thank you Mulally thank you very much for ruining one of the greatest Sedans ever made.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Now is the time for GM to get their collective heads out of their posterior orifices and bring back the Commodore rebadged as something Chevy or here's an idea.....

BRING BACK PONTIAC!!! They could create a Pontiac Performance Vehicle (PPV) platform and use the Pontiacs as their top end muscle cars and sports sedans. Start off with the return of the Firebird and G8 as their launch vehicles.

That would be EXCELLENT!~ :driving:\
The new Camaro is a dog...Put some Pontiac styling and performance into it and it would be something fearful!

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
at least the bowtie is trying with the ss. but ford needs to step it up too. the taurus sho is cool but no m3 or m5 killer

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm guessing the Falcon isn't on a global chassis that Ford can easily adapt for domestic use.

I'd love to see these stateside though

·
Registered
44 Posts
HMMMMM $45,000+ for the SS. Better beat the snot out of EVERYTHING on the road. Didn't see anything about weight but at 415 horses (estimated it weighs the same as the GXP-3900+/-) should be mid to high 12s. Not bad I guess. Doesn't look horrible either.

·
Registered
856 Posts
:driving:That's good news. Would really love a V8 though...or more HP to take on the Camaro and Mustangs, say 450 hp?:gears:

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
Im really liking the 5.0L coyote motors. I would definitely consider a 4 door rwd with the 5.0 in it. I got to ride in a 2013 boss this last week and listening to that thing spin to 7500 and only drop to about 5900 on the shift was nice. And with the track key it actually has a fairly lopey idle too. It was glued to the road through the curves. I want.....

·
G8 fiend
1,245 Posts
121 - 140 of 162 Posts