Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you know windshield clips are expensive for our cars, even these black, reusable ones.

Here's a legit reference to the original ones.
VE Commodore Upper Cowl Panel Push-In Retainer - Pkt 25 - ALP OZ Auto Moulds

They haven't been available in the States for a few years now but I decided to Google the part number anyway and found these on Amazon, that reference the GM part number.
Nylon Bumper Fastener Rivet Clips

I still have five original black clips and will provide comparison photos with these when they arrive. You can't go wrong with 40 nylon clips for $7.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Good find. Appreciate the information.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
These generic ones are OK.

They serve the same purpose as any other of their type. I bought a 600pc generic fastener kit and it same with very similar clips and they do work fine :)

Reactions: JAM

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
437 Posts
I'm assuming the difference is in the center push pin being smaller and taller than the originals? That's how the ones we get are. They work great but have a different appearance.

There has to be a major manufacturer of the correct ones because they are still using them on recent vehicles. I see them all the time.

Looking forward to seeing what they look like when you get them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They look virtually identical to me. I haven't tried using them yet.
Original clips (left)
Generic clips (right)

original (left), generic (right) original clips generic clips generic clip packaging

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
410 Posts
Great find, price and ordered some myself.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
In the past, have purchased similar aftermarket clips and usually they weren't as durable as the originals. Knowing this, made sure to order a few extras just in case some break along the way. Have absolutely zero idea if such applies to these retainers as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't realize that these clips also work to secure the rear diffuser, and if you own a Rotofab radiator cover, they are an upgrade to the push-in retainers that come with it.

Rotofab (top)
Generic (bottom)

20210525_081820.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
The ones that came with my VCM on my PPV were an atrocity. When I tried to push them down they just bent. I will be buying a set of these for when I inevitably get another VCM... plus who doesn't love spare fasteners

·
Registered
4 Posts
I needed a windshield replacement and needed to buy the expensive cowl clips (multi color one time use ones) because I knew no window replacement shop would have them. Paid a pretty penny for them from ALP OZ Auto Moulds. They told me those clips are still quite popular with folks from the states. I bought a couple bags of each just in case I need them later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts