Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My initial plan was to free air these subs but due to their size and weight I am concerned the rear deck lid may flutter. Any ideas on how to mount these subs? I need to preserve as much room in my trunk as possible.

description below

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHBUFY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
free air is dumb. box. maybe consider some 10's though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am running those. Its a great improvement over stock, but I get some rattles without any sound matting. If you go free air, I would highly recommend getting a good amount of matting to do the rear deck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Get a box. I bought a set of 8" Kickers and put them in the rear deck. It sounded like crap. It rattled like hell and it lacked any deepness to the bass. I bought a box off ebay for $35 and now it sounds awesome. Plus since I left the holes where the subs were in rear deck empty, the sound flows awesome into the cabin

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
This

maybe consider some 12's though.
haha. size doesn't always matter. A good single dual coil will blow some duals out of the water.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried 8" kicker free airs and they SUCKED.... I ditched them, left the holes open where they mount and put in a JBL 12" single in a box. OMG...sounds so good now!

You will spend more on Dynomat trying to fix the rear deck rattles and it still won't sound even close to a 12" in a box in the trunk.

I was AMAZED... I plugged the box in, and within 2 seconds...was Sold...I did not even care how much the JBL cost. I was owning it.....I had gotten so pissed off at how crappy the 8" subs in the rear deck sounded. It was probably my biggest complaint of the entire car...now I love my G8. Everything is just how I like it. Forget the 8" subs...it will be a long hard road if you go that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts