Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should finally have my engine back next week. The only stock/reused part will be the crank. Previous to the rebuild I was running Mobil1 5w-30 until a year ago when I did DOD-delete and switched to Rotella T6 5w-40.

I already ordered some driven Driven BR30 break in oil to run at first, but I got to thinking... since I'm going to have essentially a new engine, should I go back to a 5w-30 oil versus the 5w-40. Part of me says it doesn't matter all that much, and that Rotella is great stuff. The other side says I'm putting a bunch of money into this thing, and I want to do whatever is best.

Edit/Added: Was running ACDelco PF48 filters, but switching to Wix.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
In my very humble opinion, unless you live in or frequent extreme cold weather climates, the difference between 5W-30 and 5W-40 oil is negligible aka splitting hairs. An exception would be if this was Bob is the Oil Guy forum where topics are discussed to ad naseum. However, the G8 board has had more than its fair share of "best oil" threads :eek:. Am not readily familiar with Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic heavy duty diesel oil, but it seems to be a tad bit much for a V8 engine. For the most part, try to be consistent with whatever oil you choose to purchase. Was the question posed to the person(s) who/m replaced the engine? Are you concerned about the proper weight or brand of oil?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've read most of the threads on here, and started 1 of my own many moons ago. But most of those threads deal with factory fresh engines, or engines that are climbing in mileage, which is why I originally switched the the Rotella 5w-40.

I agree, it's splitting hairs at this point, but what I don't see much of on here is what people are running after having the bottom end built. I guess really it's a question for my machinist as to what the bearing clearances are, etc.

Edit: question is really what weight, and or additives. I'm going from factory engine to something with more aftermarket parts, and it will eventually see boost. I'm open to brands, but right now I'm looking at Driven, Amsoil, and the like.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had my engine rebuilt by Texas Speed an Performance. I was told to use the Driven break in oil. Then Driven LS 30 after.

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my engine rebuilt by Texas Speed an Performance. I was told to use the Driven break in oil. Then Driven LS 30 after.
That's the exact oil I was looking at that made me start thinking to use it versus the Rotella. My BR30 break in oil just showed up

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I got my new LS3 engine from Texas Speed installed, I followed their specific instructions and drove the first 1,000 miles on Driven break in oil and then another 4,000 miles on conventional oil.

After that I switched to Shell Rotella T6 (5w-40) due to its improved wear properties and the thickness increases the oil pressure up a notch on the Atari gauge. Rick Crawford made me a believer. Of course there are plenty of other oils out there that are comparable Shell Rotella T6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shell Rotella is the best oil engine and your selection is very perfect before this I use another oil and my vehicle engine works not properly and my vehicle stop on the side of the road I use Roadside Assistance Services to reach the garage that suggests me use this engine oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts