Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on fellas? Just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a part of the G8 community quite yet. I have owned and still own a 2005 GTO, which hopefully in the next coming months I will be trading in for a G8. I have been on the hunt lately for the GXP, but that is becoming more and more challenging. My search will most likely end with a low mile GT, which I am more than happy about :)

Just looking for opinions regarding mileage. What would be the max to look for in a 2009 GT?

I am also very active on ls1gto.com, which is what led me here :)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If you prefer a manual tranny then don't stop looking for a GXP, but if you don't mind driving an auto DO NOT waste your money on a GXP...make sense?

I have 107,xxx miles on my 2008 GT I bought new. It has aged pretty gracefully...only time it really let me down was when my alternator recently went randomly but I was able to get to a dealer before I was stranded.

Look to see if the LCA's (lower control arms) have been replaced w/ revised version under warranty, if they haven't been they will need to be.

Check for oil pan gasket and/or rear main seal leak (both covered under powertrain warranty). In general I would be MORE worried about a VERY low mileage car than an average mileage car because alot of times problems that need to be fixed don't pop up unless you actually drive the car.

Overall it is a very solid rig, more so than the the GTO, I expect to get 150,000 no problems from mine before I even think of selling/trading it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i was reading the thread about a member asking if he should trade in his gt for the gxp and saw your post there. I have the m6 in the gto, and to be honest, id rather take the auto. I will be daily driving it and the manual tranny can be frustrating. All of the GT's I am finding range within the 35k - 42k mile range.

Either way, I am excited as hell to grab one. I've always loved the look of the g8 and have always wanted to make the switch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do it, I converted 8 months ago. Don't miss the BBM 04 at all, replaced it with a PSM 09 GT.
Every single G8 owner who has converted to a GTO that I have spoken with has said the same thing. Make the switch.

I need 4 doors for various reasons, I wanted to keep or be near the same power level as the GTO, I wanted something with a little more exterior styling, and I wanted something that was an automatic for a DD. The G8 was the first thing that came to mind and the last. I took a look at one and will never look back.

It's now only a matter of trading the GTO in and finding the G8 I want. I'm just being picky as to how many miles I want on it. Not many lower mile ones down where I am

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy one from a forum member... Lots of good deals and you know they're cared for.
I would love to do that, just gotta find one for sale in Florida. I am willing to travel for it, so anywhere in Florida really.

Can't have both?

I have an 04 GTO and a 09 G8 GT. :)

Love them both too much to part with them! Good luck with the search!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I feel the same exact way, I just don't have the funds right now to have both. Going to school full time is also a big expense for me, so having 2 cars is pushing it LOL

I'll probably end up with both in the future though haha

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would love to do that, just gotta find one for sale in Florida. I am willing to travel for it, so anywhere in Florida really.
If you're looking for a manual GXP, you're going to have to fly to another state most likely ;)

There's many members here who have flown out to drive a GT home too.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
GXP's are quite the rare find these days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're looking for a manual GXP, you're going to have to fly to another state most likely ;)

There's many members here who have flown out to drive a GT home too.
I was originally looking for a GXP, but now that I have talked with a lot of people about it, I am just going to stick with a GT since I want an automatic. Mod the hell out of it

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your search. They are out there, just takes some time to find "the one" that you want...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you all were buying one right now, what would be the limit in the mileage?

I don't know if my standards are too high right now LOL

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
50K. Even though my G8 has 96K on the clock.
I also kept the 06 GTO when I bought my G8. The wifey prefers the GTO. I'll get rid of it someday...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
50K. Even though my G8 has 96K on the clock.
I also kept the 06 GTO when I bought my G8. The wifey prefers the GTO. I'll get rid of it someday...
Yeah maybe I need to up my limit LOL

Most of them are below 50k, I was just looking for one way low, which doesn't seem probable

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Whats going on fellas? Just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a part of the G8 community quite yet. I have owned and still own a 2005 GTO, which hopefully in the next coming months I will be trading in for a G8. I have been on the hunt lately for the GXP, but that is becoming more and more challenging. My search will most likely end with a low mile GT, which I am more than happy about :)

Just looking for opinions regarding mileage. What would be the max to look for in a 2009 GT?

I am also very active on ls1gto.com, which is what led me here :)
Welcome PonchoMan21! What is it about a G8 that is drawing you in?

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service

·
Registered
585 Posts
Welcome to the board! Good luck on your search. I'll be selling mine in another 2 1/2 years or so more than likely. I've been eyeing a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, just for something different. I thought about selling mine sooner and getting into the Jeep sooner, but I just don't think I could bare to part with mine yet. Plus it will be more profitable for me to pay mine off before I sell it. You should be able to find one in FL with no problem, a GT that is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome PonchoMan21! What is it about a G8 that is drawing you in?

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service
Everything about it honestly. For me, the 4 doors will be extremely beneficial. The looks of the car are outstanding. The right color matched with the right wheels looks awesome. The performance is spot on as well.

I am coming from the GTO, so performance was a concern for me, but the G8 met all my expectations. I would love a GXP, but I am going to settle for the GT. Mod it a little and I'm at or over the GTO's power. I'll take that any day

Welcome to the board! Good luck on your search. I'll be selling mine in another 2 1/2 years or so more than likely. I've been eyeing a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, just for something different. I thought about selling mine sooner and getting into the Jeep sooner, but I just don't think I could bare to part with mine yet. Plus it will be more profitable for me to pay mine off before I sell it. You should be able to find one in FL with no problem, a GT that is.
It's proving to be tougher than I originally thought. Finding one has been very frustrating. I keep find them over 50k miles, but I might just go with one of them. I am visiting one next week that is only at 23k miles, priced at $22k. I am going to see what the negotiating does with that price

1 - 20 of 39 Posts