Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is cool. My 95 year old mother likes the grey one, because "it's not so damned loud." Along with the other nine vehicles I've got, I'll probably keep the G8's until their wheels fall off. Then I'll put the wheels back on and drive them some more.

·
SUSP3CT
888 Posts
In stock form, I agree. Having had my red Base longer, it has had more handling and braking upgrades than I've done on the GXP. The GXP had a lot of "go fast" upgrades before I bought it, but not much for handling or braking. Since I don't intend to use it like I do the Base, the GXP will be fine as is.
I totally get what you're saying. I remember having a hard time keeping up with another G8 GT who only had suspension modifications around the track. Mine had headers/exhaust/cai/tune and struggled a little bit in tight corners.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I totally get what you're saying. I remember having a hard time keeping up with another G8 GT who only had suspension modifications around the track. Mine had headers/exhaust/cai/tune and struggled a little bit in tight corners.
Just to give you an idea, these roads I'm talking about are worse that any track I've ever driven on. (I grew up near Watkins Glen.) I can't run my modified MG Midget MkII at full speed much, and it handles like it's on rails. They're something like paved deer trails. The big advantage for handling with a V6 is weight distribution. Pontiac cut 100 lbs off the front of the V8 engine, which shifted the remaining engine weight back in the frame by about 5 inches. Back in the '60's, Pontiac shifted the engine in the GTO back 3 inches to get better handling.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
In stock form, I agree. Having had my red Base longer, it has had more handling and braking upgrades than I've done on the GXP. The GXP had a lot of "go fast" upgrades before I bought it, but not much for handling or braking. Since I don't intend to use it like I do the Base, the GXP will be fine as is.
So a G8 with handling mods beats a G8 without handling mods, in handling specific metrics. Color me surprised.

If the V6 doesn't have something like CTS-V brakes, then it doesn't brake better than the GXP.

Stock for stock, GXP wins every metric you can put on paper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As I said before, in STOCK FORM, I agree. It's amazing what a few thousand dollars can do. I just depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much work you're willing to do to achieve your desired end result.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Back in the '60's, Pontiac shifted the engine in the GTO back 3 inches to get better handling.
I realize this post is 9 days old but ,
OH Please!!!!
The "A" body engine ( bellhousing to engine interface) was in the same place in a given year across the line .
Show me anywhere that a GTO, compared to any other , had,
Longer rad hoses
3 inch shorter drive shaft
Different clutch linkage
Longer speedo cable
Etc etc
Not to mention there isn't 3 inches between the heads and the firewall.

In your g8 comparisions, are the camber and toe settings the same?
Same exact rim tire combo?
Did you put a spare tire in the GT and GXP?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since this is a G8 board, I'll stick to G8's from here on. The steering geometry is set up a little different from stock to accommodate steering and suspension modifications. It still has 18" wheels, but 265 on the front and rear. If I'm taking it out to play, I take the spare out. The GXP is pretty much stock for steering and suspension so far, with the inflator and no spare. The previous owner spent some money to make it go faster in a straight line.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I know this is an old thread but I'm pretty sure I bought your old V6. I was browsing V6 threads and noticed that car looked familiar. I saw the Barlow plate and that's where I got it over the summer. She's in good hands!
That's awesome JonDom! Take good care of her, she served me well! Do you have any more mods planned?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's awesome JonDom! Take good care of her, she served me well! Do you have any more mods planned?
Don't worry, I try to take as good care as I can, washes every time they salt the roads lol. Just crossed 64k miles the other day. Might get some electric exhaust cutouts put in so i can have it loud when I want but have the option for it to be quiet. Other than that some wheels and tires, tune, possibly some gauges. I've got a few things planned.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Don't worry, I try to take as good care as I can, washes every time they salt the roads lol. Just crossed 64k miles the other day. Might get some electric exhaust cutouts put in so i can have it loud when I want but have the option for it to be quiet. Other than that some wheels and tires, tune, possibly some gauges. I've got a few things planned.
If you're interested I'm selling the Solo V6 axle backs I have, let me know if you want them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
After six years driving and modifying my Liquid Red Base G8, and buying another Magnetic Grey Base to keep bone stock, I decided to buy a Pacific Slate Blue GXP. Huge difference in the personalities of these vehicles. The GXP is a great road cruiser that can easily hold its own at a light or over a long stretch, while the red Base does better on the back roads, curves, and hills of SWPA and SEOH. The only thing better than owning and driving a G8 is having multiple examples to choose to drive each day!
Gonna stir the pot a little more on this one. So far I actually do agree, in basically stock form the V6 did handle better than the GT. I felt confident on curvy roads with the V6, but a little more cautious with the GT, and not because of the power. To me that extra motor weight in the front really does make the two cars feel different. But, I've had the GT less than a year, and I haven't gone hooning with it as much as I should... If I had the spare change I would buy another V6 in a heartbeat to play with. For as much hate as they get they're still great cars.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
IMO the Fe2s that came from the factory sucked from day 1. So a V6 with similar shocks and less weight in front would handle better. To stir the pot, my GT with PPV dampers was nailed down as I flung it thru the countless switch backs of the smoky mountains.

The only problem was the factory brake pads which transferred to the rotors and resulted in steering wheel and brake pedal vibes after every set of switch backs. Was able to clean them off with moderate brake dragging on the straights. Never experienced the pad transfer before, so it shows you I wasn’t babying it thru the switch backs. To address the crap factory brake pads, I installed Bendix PPV pads. Would have preferred the Carbotech 1521s but the Bendix were cheap. Haven’t had a chance to really test them yet.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
The OGOC had a few spring meets at Mosport, a well known road course east of Toronto.
Part of the day four parade style laps on the track controlled by on track marshals and the last lap did get kinda spirited.
My lil V6 was murdered by the GT's....
That being said I've never driven a GT so can't/won't compare on track performance.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Oh, I saw it, my rear view was full of GTs.
After the first year I just lined up shotgun on the field and let the big boys go.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts