Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

Had my car in to a body shop yesterday to quote some repainting on the car. Long story short I scraped the rear quarter panel in between the door and the wheel well on the garage. I figured while it was in for that fix, I would have the front bumper cover/hood repainted to clear up the large amount of rock chips I accumulated in the last year. The quote to do all the work ended up being $2500 to fix the quarter panel, blend the door to match that, and remove the hood and bumper cover, and finally blend the front quarters. Killed my dreams some. Here comes the question.

He informs me that I can get file an insurance claim to get the front bumper cover/hood repainted a lot cheaper. The way he recommended was file the claim as either I was following a gravel truck, he hit a bump, I saw his rear door open some and I got peppered by gravel. Not going to lie, it probably happened at sometime. Has anyone heard of this? This doesn't seem right at all, plus would it raise my insurance rates? Looking for advice here. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yea you insurance usually goes up after they shell out some cash.. something to consider if you get caught its a serius felony (insurance fraud) I wouldn't risk it IMO.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yea you insurance usually goes up after they shell out some cash.. something to consider if you get caught its a serius felony (insurance fraud) I wouldn't risk it IMO.
Agree 100%. Especially now that you posted your intent on the internet. As my kids learned in their internet safety class at school: the internet is forever.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no intent of filing a claim, trust me there. I don't take risks like that. He set off a lot of red flags in my head. I entertained his little proposal because I didn't want to insult him. Plus I'm sure he makes a lot more off of insurance work than out of pocket work. He sounded like the type of guy who wanted to stick it to the insurance companies as much as he could.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If the guy seemed that shady, I would not let him touch my car. Most likely would do a half ass job and cut corners.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anybody live in the flint, lansing, or northern metro Detroit that can recommend a legitimate body shop? I feel It's tough to trust anyone and I'd really like a recommendation for a reputable shop.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys think this is something worth mentioning to my insurance company? It's one of those things that he almost set me up for a huge fail and I don't want him to burn someone else. I'm just shocked that someone would recommend a potential customer make a false claim.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is it really a false claim tho? I mean, isnt a self-inflicted "goof" covered by insurance? like comprehensive or something? it might make your insurance go up a little, and really the dings in the front end are clearly caused by gravel from the cars in front of you, even if it wasnt all at once from a dump truck. My old parter at work's son had damaged her car a few times and State farm repaired the car every time, but eventually dropped her. and by damaged i mean he hit it with a bat or something of that nature, not driving it.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Go hit a raccoon. Acts of God are typically covered and do not raise your premium.

And if you want the new paint to last, I'd suggest either a clear bra, or PPG ceramiclear for the clear coat.

Good luck. And I hope you are surviving the latest snow fall...the wife is up there with family, texting me about having to shovel the driveway - (I'm lol-ing!!!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll probably just touch it up again with the gm paint pen. I might revisit the repainted Ina year or two when its gotten worse or an act of god forces the repaint lol. Oh this snow is great! I love commuting in the snow with my Dodge Neon. It's sad when the G8 is a 1000 times better in the snow than my commuter beater. Oh well, it lets her be a garage queen like she wants to be :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts