Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever have a hell of time getting the front bumper off? Specifically the nuts connecting the bumper to fender. I know you have to loosen the bolts, then push up to get the nut out. Can't get the nut out to save my life. Am I missing something, or do I just need a bigger hammer?!

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Have only taken off the front bumper cover once to replace both headlamp assemblies and didn't have too big of a time removing it. However, won't be near the G8 for at least a few hours and if you're still stuck can look at it then, but hopefully someone else will chime pretty soon.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have only taken off the front bumper cover once to replace both headlamp assemblies and didn't have too big of a time removing it. However, won't be near the G8 for at least a few hours and if you're still stuck can look at it then, but hopefully someone else will chime pretty soon.
Same reason I'm removing it. To replace headlights.

I've given up for today. Had other things to do. Really just looks like a rust issue, as in the nuts are seized in place. Before I go crazy on it, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

·
Infantry Sniper
853 Posts
I pulled forward to a curb that was like a millimeter taller than my bumper clearance was and when I went to back up I ripped my bumper half off lol. I just kicked it back into place when I pulled away from the curb and then I drove home and took it off to look at the damage. A couple screws were ripped out but other than that you cant even tell. I didn't have any difficulty removing mine, but maybe it was because I had a little help ;)

Just double check you got all the bolts out around the fenders and give it a good tug and it should pop right out.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled forward to a curb that was like a millimeter taller than my bumper clearance was and when I went to back up I ripped my bumper half off lol. I just kicked it back into place when I pulled away from the curb and then I drove home and took it off to look at the damage. A couple screws were ripped out but other than that you cant even tell. I didn't have any difficulty removing mine, but maybe it was because I had a little help ;)

Just double check you got all the bolts out around the fenders and give it a good tug and it should pop right out.
Ha. That might be easier at this point. And it's an issue of the nuts not coming out.

See if this helps ....
Yep, watched that video along with a few others. They all make sense, and I understand how it should all work, just can't get the nuts to pop up/out. The bolts came out easily. Might just need a bigger hammer.

I had limited time so was working with the car on the ground. I'm going to attempt again this weekend, and I'll jack it up, pull the wheels so I have more room, and go at it.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Went out to take a gander at the G8 and recall having a similar experience at the local junkyard while removing the bumper cover from a Chevrolet Impala. Eventually, discovered the bolt's mounting post came unseated and was turning with each rotation of the socket. Using both hands, one to hold the post and the other to turn the socket, was able to free the bumper cover from the fender. Also, it may help to spray a little oil or lubricant of some sort on the thread portion of the bolt to aid in its removal. Agree, it would be more advantageous if the vehicle was placed on jack-stands with the wheels removed. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Trying to remember (having changed out the front fascia 8+ years ago). I'm thinking that the 2 nuts have extended threaded barrels as part of them, which extend down thru the double-er, fender, an fascia. This causes those removed bolts to draw everything together (with the hex nut seated in a matching hex slot designed into the removable double-er. Maybe you could buy an extended length bolt (with the correct mm dia an thread), thread it into the nut several revolutions, and then tap that bolt head upwards to force the nut/barrel out of the double-er then remove the over length bolt (if this makes sense an my thinking is correct).

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Part number is 92159884 and from the diagram it looks correct. Those nuts should really just tap out, but may be "locked" in place due to foreign matter or corrosion so it wouldn't hurt to lubricate them as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, seems like a bad case of sticky nuts. :/ The bolts in the pic came out pretty easily, and can be turned by hand now thanks to some PB Blaster.

GOPHERIT, I was using a hammer and punch on the loosened bolts, in an attempt to get the nuts to unseat. After awhile, I figured I better make sure I didn't miss something. You do give me the idea to maybe put the bolt in from the top, to maybe be able to pull it out in some way. We'll see.

Hoping I can get it off on Friday, as the car is getting paint correction on Saturday, and I want to have the new headlights in beforehand.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
The end of the bolt extends beyond the top of the mounting nut so try partially backing out or unscrewing the bolt, then push up on the bolt with the 10mm socket to unseat the nut.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The end of the bolt extends beyond the top of the mounting nut so try partially backing out or unscrewing the bolt, then push up on the bolt with the 10mm socket to unseat the nut.
Yep. I backed out the bolt about half an inch, then went to hitting it with a hammer. No dice, and got me questioning my methods. Again, had limited room with the wheels on, so hopefully pulling the wheels gives me more options for percussive persuasion.

Who, what, where, when and how much? PM me if need be. I may be able to help you get more for less.
Local, mobile detailer. Replied to your PM.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Yep. I backed out the bolt about half an inch, then went to hitting it with a hammer. No dice, and got me questioning my methods. Again, had limited room with the wheels on, so hopefully pulling the wheels gives me more options for percussive persuasion.
Very well, was able to remove both the nut and bolt with relative ease with the wheels mounted. At this point, don't have any additional suggestions and hopefully the images are beneficial.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very well, was able to remove both the nut and bolt with relative ease with the wheels mounted. At this point, don't have any additional suggestions and hopefully the images are beneficial.
Yes, they are helpful. Confirms that I was going about it correctly. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts