Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm engine swapping my G8 and I decided it would be easier to just drop the cradle with the engine. Mostly because I planned on replacing the cradle from the start (massive bend and twist goin on). Turns out, it was a lot easier to do than I thought. Engine, trans, radiator, condenser, harness.... all perfectly contained on the cradle. I think it was only 4 major wire connection (one of which was inside the fuse box, screw you GM), 6 mount bolts for the cradle, 4 for the trans member, steering shaft, hoses and what not.... Really straight forward. My only gripe really is how heavy the SOB was after it was on the stands. Wasn't ready for that. I thought about doing a write up, but I think someone already has. I Just didnt look for it. If anyone has questions about it, I'll answer em though.

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
So, what engine is going in it?

Also, here's another time I wish I had a lift at home. Although, I've gotten pretty good at pulling the engine out through the top.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
How long did this take? I ask because it typically takes me about 2 hours to get the engine out through the top of a G8. If it took you less than two hours, this may just be a better option.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So, I'm engine swapping my G8 and I decided it would be easier to just drop the cradle with the engine. Mostly because I planned on replacing the cradle from the start (massive bend and twist goin on). Turns out, it was a lot easier to do than I thought. Engine, trans, radiator, condenser, harness.... all perfectly contained on the cradle. I think it was only 4 major wire connection (one of which was inside the fuse box, screw you GM), 6 mount bolts for the cradle, 4 for the trans member, steering shaft, hoses and what not.... Really straight forward. My only gripe really is how heavy the SOB was after it was on the stands. Wasn't ready for that. I thought about doing a write up, but I think someone already has. I Just didnt look for it. If anyone has questions about it, I'll answer em though.
I'd imagine that this can only be done with a lift though right? I so wish I could have one, guess its over the top for me. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long did this take? I ask because it typically takes me about 2 hours to get the engine out through the top of a G8. If it took you less than two hours, this may just be a better option.
So to have the cradle on the ground, old engine off it, and suspension parts and steering swapped to the new one was about 3 hours with 2 people. Just to get the cradle on the ground was probably 1.5 hours mostly because I took my time making sure all the harness was disconnected properly. The lift was huge factor in making this process quick. I don't recommend doing it this way if you don't have a lift. The whole job took less than three 8 hour days. (the base hobby shop is only open for 8 hours). Also, don't drop your cradle onto jack stands like I did. It fell off once, and it was super hard to maneuver back into position under the car once I placed the new one underneath. Use a wheeled cart or something.

The new engine is now in and making burly man sounds. If I find a dyno results thread somewhere I'll post my numbers there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts