Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new thread, sorry, I know a lot has been written about the front end, but I'm really trying to find out what is wrong with mine.
'09 G8 GT
95k miles
Bought the car a couple months ago, immediately noticed the noise, and the fact that when going over bumps on the right side, there is a noticeable difference then when hitting bumps on the left.
During the Maryland Inspection process, I figured I would throw the mechanic a freebie, and told him I think the tie rod on the right front is bad, my mechanic (I trust them) told me the front end is fine, said I needed a new fuel line though ( I hate the Maryland Inspection process, but that's another discussion)
During the fuel line repair, I told them again, and had them drive with me, but of course they never heard the noise, but they checked again and nothing.
Following this repair, I had the noise in the drive shaft, after reading the forum here, I learned about the gizmo that goes bad, sorry forget the name right now, but fortunate for me, the Drive Train was under warranty from just buying the car.
At the end of this repair, after complaining about the front end noise again, I asked them to leave it on the lift for me to look at.
Over this time I had raised the car in my garage and move the wheel, to hear some slop (banging if you move the wheel hard left to right. So they let me look at it while on the lift, wheel felt really tight, I had them load up some weight on the left side wheel also, but the wheel felt fine.

Anyway, it's been a few weeks since, and the noise is really bad now. Rattling noise from the right front wheel.

Tomorrow morning I will be jacking up the front end.

Any good suggestions for me to look at? I'm afraid the wheel will fall apart soon.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Hef

·
F1rehawk
710 Posts
You might want to have a look at this :

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
If your LCAs check out fine (nothing loose when the wheel is off the ground), then check your strut mounts to see if they're worn. They will clunk loudly over road imperfections.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
412 Posts
After replacing virtually everything in the front end on my car, and inspecting the inner tie rods that I didn't replace, and not solving my low-speed clunk, I figured out that at 125k miles my steering rack had some free play in it.

With the car up on blocks, I could reproduce the clunk by jiggling the steering wheel with the key on, engine off. By loosening the lock nut you see perpendicular to the steering shaft and the boot, and turning the adjuster while someone jiggled the steering wheel until the noise went away, I eliminated the clunk.

It didn't fix my other brake/steering wobble, but eliminating the clunk over bumps and when I pull into my driveway made me very happy.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Can you circle the locknut? I'm not able to follow what you did.

·
412 Posts
Can you circle the locknut? I'm not able to follow what you did.
Certainly.

I used a big pair of pliers to loosen the lock nut, but the adjustment itself is done with a 17mm hex, which I did have. It was a bit fiddily because I used the pliers, but there really that much room in there to mess about, at least if you're on jack stands. For example, I used a 17mm wrench on the flats of my 3/8" drive hex bit to turn and hold the adjuster. The other thing is, if you over-tighten this, your steering will bind. This is very much a two-person job.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Hmm. Never heard of anyone adjusting that. What does it do? I figured it was just some sort of access for assembly.

·
412 Posts
I didn’t find much here, but I found a discussion about adjusting rack preload on the LS1GTO forum via Google. That sent me to YouTube, where I didn’t find anything specific to our cars, but I found videos about it for other cars, like the Miata.

And articles about other cars, such as the old Toyota AE86.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts