Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this riveted on?

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes. If you drill them out, be careful with the heat. The back side of that rivot is huge and that bumper cover is plastic. If it gets too hot, itll start melting the plastic and make a huge hole. Don't ask me how I know.

If I were to do it again, I'd use a cutoff wheel on a dremmel and cut a little at a time alternating rivots to give them time to cool.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
In January 2010, I bought a GXP fascia to swap out with the GT version. I preferred the looks of that fascia over the GT, which also allowed me to ditch the front plate at the same time. For protection I purchased a dedicated GXP license plate holder (in case I ever got stopped by the police or highway patrol who's pet peeve, is making sure that front plate is installed on that front fascia). I stow both items in the trunk. I have yet found a reason to buy those rather large size pop rivets to install it (if the situation arises where I have to mount it). Yours sure look like those pop rivets. I'm sure the proper size an length sheet metal screws would work just fine (if the holder has to stay). But if your going to remove it, and can keep a good size sharp drill centered on them, you could easily drill enough to cause the head to part company from the stem, to remove it. Then the stems (due to a flared retainer on the other end of those stems) would have to be pushed thru the fascia and recovered from the back side. Course you end up with probably 3 or more holes left in the fascia to stare at.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was trying to get it out of the way to pull the black honeycomb inserts out. I ordered new fog light housings. I burnt my current ones up with some HIDs. Converting over to LED from diod dynamics.

·
I'd Rather Be Shifting
565 Posts
Tiny little drill bit to drill out the center where the "stem" of the rivet would be is all you need. It'll fall apart from there and you'll avoid any heat issue. It's just soft aluminum, so it doesn't take much. You could probably just spin the bit with your fingers and get the guts drilled out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts