Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
F1rehawk
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Just a quick question with detailed symptoms of my current issue with the G8. About a month ago, I started hearing a rolling noise coming from the front end, louder on the right side. It seems to be louder when slowing down, braking or accelerating from a stop position. I would say it starts making the noise after 5 minutes of driving on most days. I also noticed that the steering wheel is shaking a bit at high speeds.

Just wanted to make sure before bringing it in to the garage next spring for a check-up.

Important points :

• The tires are the original ones from 2009
  • The rotors and brakes seem to be in good condition
  • I do not thing the tires have ever been balanced or aligned as they were never removed from the vehicle
  • It is not a typical helicopter bearing noise
  • The car has recently been inspected and there was no suspension issue at that time
I would be going with flat spots on the tire and or unbalanced tires. She is getting new shoes next spring anyways so I guess I will be starting with that. I also plan on getting "race ramps" to keep the tires in good condition during storage.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Charles

·
F1rehawk
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Not sure what you mean by race ramps helping the tires.

Feels like a rotor thing to me, or some sort of tire thing. Can't get more specific though.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Is the sound like a low growl? your tires are way old and the rubber has hardened. They also get slippery and start to crack. Nowadays, tire manufacturers say 6 years is it for the rubber.

·
every village has one
2,189 Posts
Notice any odd wear pattern on the tire where the sound is coming from? Does the sound go away after a bit? Don’t know if age is as much a factor as the tire companies would like you to think. Recently switched to summer tires from some 8 year old DWS06’s and never noticed any cracking or hardness.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Notice any odd wear pattern on the tire where the sound is coming from? Does the sound go away after a bit? Don’t know if age is as much a factor as the tire companies would like you to think. Recently switched to summer tires from some 8 year old DWS06’s and never noticed any cracking or hardness.
Replaced a set of 7 yr old Michelin truck AT tires due to cracking that started around the 6 yr Mark. So I believe it. The op has 10 yr old tires so that’s where I would start.

Even the owner booklets for new cars say don’t keep tires longer than 6 yrs. Maybe a conspiracy?

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Perchance jack-stands would be a better option since the weight of the car wuill rest on the stands versus the tires. Also, it eliminates the possibility of the tires developing flat spots.

·
Registered
26 Posts
10 years is a long time for sure. If the tires were on a car that was primarily stored in the garage, then I think they would have been better preserved from weather and UV damage. Regardless, 10 years is too long. Also, you can check manufacturer's data on the tire itself. A car produced in 2009 may have tires produced in 2008 or even 2007.

Honestly, IMO, I'd get them replaced asap. Keeps you safe and may help troubleshoot your issue at the same time.

·
F1rehawk
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the same problem, wondering if you find the fix?
Just saw an old thread of mine got revived and I never updated it.

I swapped the tires to Continental last year and I would say 90% of the noise/vibration is gone.

Next up is rotors. Mine are probably starting to get warped.

That should resolved most of the issue. Hope that helps.

·
F1rehawk
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure what you mean by race ramps helping the tires.

Feels like a rotor thing to me, or some sort of tire thing. Can't get more specific though.
Race ramps are supposed to reduce the possibility of your tires developing flat spots.

However stored mine for a full 6 months regularly and tires were perfectly fine in the spring.

·
F1rehawk
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replaced a set of 7 yr old Michelin truck AT tires due to cracking that started around the 6 yr Mark. So I believe it. The op has 10 yr old tires so that’s where I would start.

Even the owner booklets for new cars say don’t keep tires longer than 6 yrs. Maybe a conspiracy?
Yeah the tires were 9-10 years old and even though they seemed brand new, they were complete garbage due to their age.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Race ramps are supposed to reduce the possibility of your tires developing flat spots.

However stored mine for a full 6 months regularly and tires were perfectly fine in the spring.
Still not sure how. I have a set of race ramps. They don't really deform or somehow cup the tires.

·
F1rehawk
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still not sure how. I have a set of race ramps. They don't really deform or somehow cup the tires.
I'm talking about those type of race ramps. They call them flatstoppers...the material is probably softer.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I see. So, you want a certain specialty product from Race Ramps, which makes a number of ramp variations.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Well at least they're made in the good ole USA. Given the cost, would purchase an extra jack and two sets of jack-stands and call it a day. However, to each their own on this one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts