Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any have any input on these? Are they any good or anyone had experience with them?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think thats what Daniel runs in his not sure if there are a lot of others. When I called them I was confident with their answers and might go through them when I do mine.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Why the multi disc and not a single disc?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ok, for some reason, I thought the single disc was better for our cars. I guess it all depends on mods.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any facts or threads that back that up? Not calling you out or anything I'm just curious to know where you got the idea from because I always thought and heard from buddies that a multi disc was an overall better converter. Now I'm no converter expert but I heard that there is less slippage with a multi disc. The last converter I had was a single disc 3200 in a Buick grand national and really hated how it felt on the street so I figure I'd try a multi disc on the g8. Regardless if FTI would have offered the single disc I would have still gone with a multi.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok. I have owned an FTI single and currently have a FTI triple disc.
I loved the single disc but ended up with bearing noise- 1 way roller clutch was going bad. sent it in for warranty repair. now this was right before they discontinued the single disc. I get a call and its FTI suggesting I upgrade to the triple disc and get offered a very cheap price to do it.
I should have stayed with the single b/c for a daily driver I feel the triple is a little too harsh and the shifting with the converter locked it too harsh.
Both of their products work and perform well as designed but I dont like what I have now. Come to find out there were a lot of rumblings about FTI stopping the single discs in the 6l80e because they were getting a lot of them back for warranty repairs. Cant confirm because I didnt get a straight answer from FTI but I will say that they told me that I wouldnt fell any major difference in driveability and that is definitely false.
Thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
104 Posts
2800-3000

I love what it does well, but dont like daily driving in the higher gears (getting stuck in traffic and having to slow down often)

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
The problem with the single and dual disc stalls was they were not holding up to high hp G8s. They claimed that the triple disc was the only one holding the power.

I have a 3200 triple disc and it is pretty clunky when it locks. I use manual mode and you'll notice it when you're cruising along in the gear where it locks during on/off slight acceleration. Pat G originally had mine lock in 3rd, but because of how often I use 3rd, I requested it to only lock in 4th+. I really don't notice it at all in auto, but you do in manual.

I went with FTI because as I understood, they were the best ones to go with.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think the reason why I thought a single was better is b/c I daily drive my car and don't put out a lot of HP. I plan on putting a cam in the car this spring and if I do need a stall will probably go w/ a single disc 2800-3000 stall. I guess a single just fits my needs better than a multi.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I loved the single disc but ended up with bearing noise- 1 way roller clutch was going bad. sent it in for warranty repair. now this was right before they discontinued the single disc. I get a call and its FTI suggesting I upgrade to the triple disc and get offered a very cheap price to do it.
I went through this exact same thing back in November... Sent mine back and was offered the triple disc upgrade too. You definitely know when the lockup happens now. To the point where non-car people always ask "what was that?" when it locks. I've even toyed with the TCC ramp/pressure settings in the tune, but doesn't really soften it up much.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
The problem with harsh lockup is for the amount of slip it is in the high pressure range of the table. You need to drop the last table down from 58 to 20 psi or so and work from there and move the first row from .73 psi to 5 psi. Singles clutches in the smaller converters come apart too easy. I have had luck with an older Circle D 258mm single that locks like a champ but have seen several come apart in other brands and trash the internals of the trans. Just think of the slip the converter clutch has to overcome vs stock. Every time a stalled converter locks it is overcoming more load since the converter is carrying less and has to overcome more slip to lock. The converter clutch has to over come 500-1200 rpm of slip to lock in a high stall setup vs stock which on has to over come maybe 200 rpm of slip and the converter is carrying more load. Makes the lockup much more noticeable. Plus it is like jumping from 3rd to 6th gear. rev-high, then lug...

I always try to talk guys into 2400 258mm stalls over 3200 or 3600. The 245's just don't perform as well in a heavy car for what most use the car for. 3200 and 3600 are not for daily drivers, especially for city driving. It is just asking to cook the trans plus shift pressure logic fights good shift pressure due to stalls.

I have driven FTI, Circle D, Yank, Precision Industries, and Coan. Coan 261 mm had the best street manners, followed by the 278mm Circle D and the Precision Industries 258mm 2400 stall. Probably any 258mm in the 2400 rpm stall range would do well as a daily driver but only used the PI in the 2400 range. The Circle D was a 2800, FTI was a 245 3200 as well as the Yank. Not trying to push one brand or another but 3000-3600 in any brand is too loose for a daily driver IMO. I got rid of the 2800 258mm because it felt too loose driving around and drank gas in the winter when waiting for trans to get to operating temp.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Like my FTI 5000rpm converter on my th400
however do not like the experience I had with my th400 from FTI

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
5kRPM stall? lol dang. Talk about not a DD.

My 3200 isn't too bad for DD. My fiancé said it felt a tad slower than the stock stall. Dropping the hammer in the 3200 is a different story over the stock stall. Whoa.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
this thread is so win, subscribed indeed.

·
9 Second G8
2,875 Posts
The problem with the single and dual disc stalls was they were not holding up to high hp G8s. They claimed that the triple disc was the only one holding the power.

I have a 3200 triple disc and it is pretty clunky when it locks. I use manual mode and you'll notice it when you're cruising along in the gear where it locks during on/off slight acceleration. Pat G originally had mine lock in 3rd, but because of how often I use 3rd, I requested it to only lock in 4th+. I really don't notice it at all in auto, but you do in manual.

I went with FTI because as I understood, they were the best ones to go with.
Their single disc 3600 held up very nicely in my car at approx 800 HP.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Yeah they mentioned it was only a few high HP cars that had issues, but they said it was a common problem. FTI words, I don't have experience with the single disc ones. They said they stopped making them just because of that. They wouldn't even sell me anything other than a triple.

Speaking of which, when are you gonna post a dyno vid?!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts