Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did any one experience a fuel cut off at high rpm, i had this issue on 1st and 2nd at about 6000rpm, is it normal, i have 900 miles on my car.Im wondering if this happened because of stability control.any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Rev limiter.

It surprised me the first time I floored it in 1st, it hit 6000 rpms and just kind of hit a "wall" and fell on it's face.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Rev limiter.

It surprised me the first time I floored it in 1st, it hit 6000 rpms and just kind of hit a "wall" and fell on it's face.
Rev limiter at 6000? Mine doesn't hit until about 6600.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yes, it's 6600. But it does get from 6k to 6.6k pretty quick. maybe you just didn't notice.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
What I figured out is the tach is slow in 1st gear, it will "redline" at 6000, when you're probably actually at 6600 or so. 6000 comes quick, be ready to shift.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I hit the speed limiter today - 153mph indicated. Smooth as silk....fantastic car...

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
04GT is absolutely correct about the rev limiter. I have made 12 1/4 mile passes with mine now. I shift 1-2 when the needle hits 6000, and I have never bounced off the limiter. I shift 2-3 and 3-4 when the needle hits 6250, and also have not hit the limiter. I got greedy and tried to shift when the needle hit 6500, and I wasn't fast enough, and the limiter ruined my ET.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Jesus. :driving:
Yeah, I know...

I'm lucky enough to live in a area of the country that has a few very unused new toll roads. One stretch isn't yet completely through to the older highway, so many people just don't use it, and it's $1.00 to use a stretch that goes for ~7 miles, alongside an older road.

I never go crazy fast at night on it - too many Bambi's in the area. It was daylight yesterday, cool air, not one other car on the road, so I let it rip! It was incredible feeling acceleration like that at over 100mph...made it above 150 in just a few seconds, on a slightly downhill section... The car tracks so nicely at that speed - best 'feeling' car I've ever had..never felt out of control...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, I know...

I'm lucky enough to live in a area of the country that has a few very unused new toll roads. One stretch isn't yet completely through to the older highway, so many people just don't use it, and it's $1.00 to use a stretch that goes for ~7 miles, alongside an older road.

I never go crazy fast at night on it - too many Bambi's in the area. It was daylight yesterday, cool air, not one other car on the road, so I let it rip! It was incredible feeling acceleration like that at over 100mph...made it above 150 in just a few seconds, on a slightly downhill section... The car tracks so nicely at that speed - best 'feeling' car I've ever had..never felt out of control...
Tune out the limiter! Obvious next step!

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
I will also note that the limiter snuck up on me the other day at about 6k on the tach. I had been making my 1->2 shift ~6k on the tach and thought I was shifting early, when I made myself wait for the extra few hundred RPM I ran into the limiter. When I hit it I just thought it was odd and I was half asleep so I tried again on my 2->3 shift, same results. Since I've seen the 6600 RPM number numerous places and several people commenting on the slowness if that tach needle it made sense. Has anyone tried using the engineering mode tach to see if it is any more accurate? Obviously much more difficult to read though.

Not until I upgrade the tires!
The tires will be fine for a quick high speed run. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
odst117
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing