Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the pump today ready to replace and found a ton a debris in the basket and caked on the filter. Im guessing some piss pour QC in the fuel business but who knows, but got it cleaned out and swapped the small filter. Shes back to running full charge @ 50+ psi and no leaning out up top.

Big thanks to Rick C. for the help and Doug for letting me use the small (clean) filter from his old pump.

The two G8's sitting over at Rick's are going to be bad ass. Looking forward to checking them out in action next weekend.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't anything major!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Glad it wasn't to bad. How did you choose to pull the pump out? Through the back seat?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Do you think that will have shortened the life span of the pump?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad it wasn't to bad. How did you choose to pull the pump out? Through the back seat?
Yes, Rick lowered the tank slightly then cut carefully.

Do you think that will have shortened the life span of the pump?
I doubt it. I feel like it was caught fairly early

·
Registered
107 Posts
That cover looks great to seal it back together.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes it does seem like the easy way to have access to change out pumps in the future rather than having to possibly lower the whole back suspension. That's my future mod for when i upgrade the pumps.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Does someone have a diagram or a pattern as to where to cut? I havnt seen that much junk in a fuel pump in a long time! Makes you wonder how it got there? I've had a couple G8 with fuel level sensor problems and never wanted to cut into a customers car. But my own I would if I knew exactly where to cut.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

·
Registered
545 Posts
That's great news, you're so lucky to have somebody so knowledgeable & willing to help close to you!

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great news, you're so lucky to have somebody so knowledgeable & willing to help close to you!
Very true. I have a feeling most shops would not have R&Red the problem and just would have replaced the pump no questions asked...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Very nice, glad it was easy fix and everything is going smoothly. Like the easy access panel.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
man, thats a lot of crap. makes me want to check mine. just for maintenance

·
Registered
737 Posts
this makes me wonder. Maybe this should be checked every 50k maybe lower miles. there are some random stations that i dont trust. hell even the ones on base i def dont trust.!! how long did that take?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this makes me wonder. Maybe this should be checked every 50k maybe lower miles. there are some random stations that i dont trust. hell even the ones on base i def dont trust.!! how long did that take?
4hrs from the times pulled up to when I left.

I wouldn't worry about it unless your fuel pressure drops off or data logs show signs of problems.

Makes me want to install a fuel pressure gauge

·
Registered
737 Posts
Agreed. I like the 3 gauge pod with oil pressure trans temp and fuel pressure

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Damn that looks bad.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn that looks bad.
Yea it was rough for sure. I just picture a fat bellied truck driver dragging his hose from the tanker to the underground tanks knocking gravel and grime into the tank as he fills it up..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts