Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone saw my other thread (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77105) they would know the issues that I have had with my G8. I just got word from the dealership that all of my issues were caused by a bad fuel pump. They told me that it would randomly lose pressure to about 20 psi. They are replacing it as we speak (under warranty) but part of me does not think that this was the issue. When I brought it to them, it was misfiring and backfiring into the intake. Symptoms that I've never seen with a bad fuel pump. I also was running lean in both banks. In the thread linked, you will find all the codes and issues that I have had in the past 2 months.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
The only event with the fuel pump and or pressure output, was with one of my boys 97 Silverado. It had an external fuel filter, and it got fouled up to the point of having the pressure collapses using moderate to heavy gas pedal pressure. The truck would stagger and stumble, an never get past 3K rpm and this was continuously (but not backfiring or missing). If you eased the throttle up, it would then eventually wind the engine up to an acceptable rpm (the pump was able to maintain the needed pressure). Changed the filter, and all was good again.
Later on in life the pump failed. That turned out to be a burnt pin/socket power wire at the in tank pump electrical disconnect. Pump changed with its half of the connector, and I repaired the other half to correct that problem.
I suppose the pump action in your car could cause the symptoms you have. If it turns out to be the cause, I will have learned something out of all of this. But of course, less painfully.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts