Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The g8 is approaching a 100k and the wife is driving our suburban most of the time so it is time to mod this thing

What kind of power difference will there be with

full kooks system 1 7/8 LT catted x pipe and axle backs

vs

Pace setter long tubes with the stock mid section and Solo axle backs

I may do a cam at some point in the future but don't really want to tear the motor apart right now

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Both of the long tubes will make good power.

The mid section is what will hold you back, especially if you plan to do a cam swap down the road. A full 3" system (like the kooks) is what you want over the stock mid section. I'm in this boat right now with my set up.

I have seen the results on the track as to how much the mid section is holding me back. I tested a 2.5"-4" on the track and picked up a tenth and 1-2mph with it over my "street" setup (some was due to weight savings). But I believe that it is leaving 15-20rwhp on the table over this bullshlt 2.25" hacked mid section I have now...

Oh and axle backs are negligible

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats kind of what I was thinking my cousin owns an exhaust shop but i dont think they don't do mandrel. the Kooks will support any thing I throw at it in the future

as far as the axle backs I dont really know what brand but I think the solos would probably be real loud with kooks lt's and mid pipe

·
Registered
80 Posts
If money is an issue I would go with the Pacesetter coated headers, Have the stock mid-muffler replaced with an X pipe. Remove the factory resonators and do a quality axleback. I dont think there is enough restriction in the factory midsection (with all that removed) to hinder any performance for a while. If you go FI or a big heads/cam package then you may start seeing restriction there.

If money is not an issue, by all means, get the kooks LT's and Mid pipe. They are of the highest quality. That paired with a quality axleback would make great power and great sound.

My .02

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to be selling my Bmw e30 since I got the go ahead to mod the g8 and I have money from taxes. So I have up to 5k to spend but I don't really want to spend it all I was planning on an intake as well and the car needs brakes and LCA's so with Kooks I figure roughly $3500 after tune and other items I am ok with that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts